• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M988 upgrade to M1045A2? Is it worth it?

JetbikeAnt

Hello All. I did not make it down last weekend, but leaving to check it out tomorrow. Just a few questions that I hope you can help me with.

1) The Hood on my 1987 M988 is in good shape and not cracked. Is it the same as the 2003 M1025A2 so I could swap them?
2) Is the Turret the same on an M1043 as the M1045A2? Would it be correct to a purest?
3) Has anyone found an easy way to tell if its a GEP 6.5? Besides the sticker on the driver side valve cover.

I have been researching the above questions, but have only had limited success. I'm running out of time now and figured I better ask. Thanks in advance!

AAVP7

1) There are a few subtle differences between softtop and hardtop hoods, the most noticeable being the two footloops in front of the windshield on softtops (to tie down the windshield when folded). Also, slantback hoods had armored grilles and armor stripes around the top grille. However, nothing is impossible; my USMC M1045A2 had all that armor underneath the hood, but also the footloops. If you swap hoods, make sure to take over all the slantback parts.

2) Early slantbacks had turrets with cat´s ears on the left hand side. Later slantbacks had completely round turret tops. However, I´m not exactly sure when the change happened.

3) As far as I know, the only really sure proof (stickers can be forged) are the casting signs in the middle of the engine valley. If there are two triangles pointing awy from each other, then it is a GEP engine. Not always easy to see, as the valley is often full of crud.

Last edited:

Crapgame

Turrets, turrets, turrets. A0 thru early A2 had the stamped sheetmetal "cat-eared" turret Weapons Station, then sometime around the same time the underbody Pioneer Tool Tray was replaced with the MaxxTool, 2002? they switched to the fully round stamped turret Weapons Station, perhaps as a standardization attempt, with the M900-series 5 ton Truck Light Weapons Station LWS Kits. The later fully-round Weapons Station uses a separate angled plate to support the folded hatch when in open position, the A0-A2 "cat-eared" uses rubber bumpers and pivoting levers to lock the folded hatch in the open position (Greg 86HMMWV's complete exterior turret assy photo)

The turret Weapons Support is the big money, $2300-$3500 for just the 5 point Weapons Support; $300 hatch; $500 (A0 silver aluminum bearing) -$800 (A2-M1114 black aluminum improved bearing); B Pillars $200; $60 A2 Hatch Support; $400 6pc Turret Bearing Retainers/Trim; $90 for 3 hatch latches; $80 for 2 rubber coated back pads; $300 A2 "Swiss Cheese" Weapons Mount; $100 Aluminum Bar Stock Weapons Mount Spacer; $40 2-pin Turret Traverse Lock; $20 Gunner seat strap plus Anchor Bracket; $20 two rubber Hatch Latches-same as transmission dog house latches plus about $200 in Grade 8 Bolts (up to 3/8-16 x 7.5" long), Nuts, Nylocks, and Washers.

A0 A1 Turret Weapons Station1.png
A2 Turret Weapon Station1.jpg
A2 Turret  Weapon Station Assembly.jpg

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1) There are a few subtle differences between softtop and hardtop hoods, the most noticeable being the two footloops in front of the windshield on softtops (to tie down the windshield when folded). Also, slantback hoods had armored grilles and armor stripes around the top grille. However, nothing is impossible; my USMC M1045A2 had all that armor underneath the hood, but also the footloops. If you swap hoods, make sure to take over all the slantback parts.

2) Early slantbacks had turrets with cat´s ears on the left hand side. Later slantbacks had completely round turret tops. However, I´m not exactly sure when the change happened.

3) As far as I know, the only really sure proof (stickers can be forged) are the casting signs in the middle of the engine valley. If there are two triangles pointing awy from each other, then it is a GEP engine. Not always easy to see, as the valley is often full of crud.
3.. The Navistar Emblem IMG_4445.JPG

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time for a re-tread Tobash...
Retread??? My tires are uncracked and have what looks like 3/4 inch tread.

Maybe repaint!

EDIT-Maybe she looks that way as she was moving when I snapped the picture so the threads are distorted.

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Retread??? My tires are uncracked and have what looks like 3/4 inch tread.

Maybe repaint!

EDIT-Maybe she looks that way as she was moving when I snapped the picture so the threads are distorted.
Yup.. looked like the center tread was gone 😂98590B97-40F0-471B-8E35-D29E352E41A7.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks