• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M989 flatbed towing with 3/4 ton Super Duty... Is it doable?

neil2007

Hello all!

Im looking at bidding on a 1983or1984 M989 flatbed tomorrow... Question: is it possible to tow this home behind a 3/4 ton diesel pickup without air brakes? I know I can physically hook up to it and move it, but is not having air brakes present going to cause the trailer brakes to engage automatically? If so, can I cage (I think is the term I am looking for) the brakes in order to tow it home about 50 miles or so?

Any other better options or suggestions for towing this from Indianapolis to Brazil Indiana would be greatly appreciated...

Btw, is anyone on this great forum also bidding on these two trailers listed wth govliquidations?

Thanks for any help in advance!!!

Neil

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Short answer - No.

Long answer - It will take your super duty for a ride. 11000 lbs with no brakes is probably not legal anywhere. And next to none of that weight will be placed on the towing vehicle, so its like the worst of all worlds. I think if you had to move it across the yard, it'd be okay to do with a Super Duty, but not on any public road.

MarcusOReallyus

At 7640 pounds, you are probably past the rated towing capacity of your 3/4 ton, unless you have a weight distributing hitch. (Yes, I know you can pull it. But you can't pull it legally.)

Even if you aren't, 3 1/2 tons and no brakes? 50 miles on a public road?

If you have an accident, expect your insurance company to laugh in your face, right before they cancel your policy.

Oh, and if somebody gets hurt? You just might be learning some new legal terms, like "criminal negligence".

BTW, in Indiana, working brakes are required on all trailers over 3,000 pounds.

Do this right. Hire somebody to tow it.

http://www.propickupmag.com/tow-ratings-and-liability/

Last edited:

neil2007

I appreciate all the great input on this! Other than the obvious braking system issue and after considering the weight of the trailer (~8k) and the dozer (10k), it would definitely exceed what I would consider safe to towing using a conventional weight distributing hitch with a pintle adapter. The combined weight would exceed the weight rating of the hitch by a few pounds.

ALTHOUGH, the purpose was not for towing behind the Super Duty full time, but for behind my Deuce which will eventually be road worthy again. :)

I've decided to pass on the M989 and opt for converting the Deuce to a flatbed to haul the dozer on. : )

Again, thanks for all the input!!!

Neil

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did assume 989A1, although I don't think my answer would be different if it were for a 989 - Its still too heavy to pull behind a 3/4 ton truck without brakes IMHO.

neil2007

The intent of my original post was whether or not it would be possible to disable the air brakes so I could tow it home if I won the bid. Not tow it loaded on a routine basis.

After doing some research I found that using the factory 2 inch receiver and pintle adapter I could tow a total of 12000 lbs for my truck. I tow regularly about 7000 lbs and I do not even feel it back there, so I'm sure even if it were an 11000 lb trailer the 3/4 ton would handle it fine. Now load a dozer on it and that turns out to be too much for the little 2" receiver... But gooseneck it will tow 18000.

But the intent of my op was to determine if i could "cage" the air brakes just to tow it home empty. Once home it would be towed by my 530b when it's done.

Again, thanks to everyone for the excellent discussion! It helped a bunch!

Neil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks