• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M989A1 Heavy Expanded Mobility Ammunition Trailer towing question

mustang1928

Just won the trailer on Govt Liqu and have a time limit to pick it up. I have a 5 Ton to tow it, but it's down for maintenance for a week or so. I have a 1 ton dully Ford/w pintle and want to pick it up from the depot a 100 miles away. Does anyone know if the trailer will move without air on the trailer break system? Will it free roll, or are the breaks locked until aired up? Thanks, Steve

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just won the trailer on Govt Liqu and have a time limit to pick it up. I have a 5 Ton to tow it, but it's down for maintenance for a week or so. I have a 1 ton dully Ford/w pintle and want to pick it up from the depot a 100 miles away. Does anyone know if the trailer will move without air on the trailer break system? Will it free roll, or are the breaks locked until aired up? Thanks, Steve

You have to cage the brakes.

Don't do it. Don't even consider it.

Your pickup truck will likely pull it just fine. You won't be able to stop. The M989A1 won't transfer any weight to the tongue. You'll have the same amount of traction as you do empty. that trailer will push you everywhere, and your braking distance from 55mph will be in excess of 600 feet . (Usually about 130ft).

Someone will chime in and tell you it's illegal, and it is. But beyond being illegal it's dangerous to the point of fantasy. I give your odds of making it 100 miles as less than 50%.

I just had to know, so I hooked my M989A1 to my 1ton ram dually. I've got a 6spd manual transmission and enhaust brake. I towed it at low speeds off of public roads. Pulls fine, but you will not stop it in any reasonable distance even at 15mph.

You've just got to have air to the trailer to safely move one of these, seriously.

Last edited:

grendel

Can you put it on a trailer with electric brakes?

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the only way a Ford dually should pull a M989A1 is if the Ford is a F450 or F550 and you put the M989A1 on an appropriate gooseneck trailer.

Shark Bait

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgMy F-450 hauled a couple (one at a time) 425 miles one way. No problem. On a trailer! That thing is big and heavy to pull with no tongue weight, it would definitely shove you through an emergency stop at 55mph. Be safe, if no air brake equipped truck, haul it or have it hauled.

Dave

gunsgreg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$10 says your trailer will smell like garbage. HEMAT trailers are what most units used for garbage duties...

Ah so that explains why my recent HEMAT recovery from Texarkana has every little piece of crap in every nick and cranny (cig butts et al). Really giving my pressure washer a workout.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The FIRST word in the trailers name should have given you your answer.

anthkey

86m1028

I moved mine about 15 miles, off base & to a storage area with a 3/4 ton diesel gmc.
All back roads & low speed (45 & under). I had no problems but will say you know it's back there.
Frt brakes do not need to be caged but rear will.
Best to be done on a gooseneck like mentioned earlier.
If the road has any kind of troughs in it, it will wonder left to right.
Its heavier than a 1ton truck & no tongue weight !
Tail wagging the the dog paints a pretty good picture.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled mine with my freightliner though the truck has air out back it was still not ideal. Tractor would attempt to spin all the way into 4th gear under hard acceleration. Tracked straight and world stop on a dime with a touch of the brakes though. The truck really didn't like the lmtv either... No tongue weight no good!
IMG_1683.jpg

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This threads two years old, I'm betting he's recovered it by now???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks