• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M989A1 HEMAT Trailer Question (Modification)

Ram1911

OK, this is my first post, I believe. Sorry for not introducing myself first. These things have come on the market here and there (Ft. Knox and Ft. Campbell specifically - closest to my family farm in SW Indiana) and they often come dirt cheap. I was thinking with the right bit of work and if a guy had a spare tandem rear off a junkyard truck, and some selective cutting, bracing, removal of non-structural parts, especially underneath, then welding or bolting the tandem frame to the rear of the trailer, and the addition of a gooseneck in the front, it would make a mean, if not heavy, basis for a hopper bottom (split dump due to the large tube backbone) grain trailer (among other things). My problem is, even with all of the pics on GP and the line drawing on the data plate and what I've found online, it's really hard to tell how the transition goes from the main backbone to the front, and moreso the rear structure of the trailer. Maybe this is just pie-in-the-sky, so feel free to beat me across the head and shoulders (proverbially). Also, I thought even without the front and rear modified, it would make a decent gravity box on-farm, pulled by a large tractor. Thoughts? My Dad (70 and still farming near Evansville) used to do a bunch of welding and built a couple of gooseneck hitches for farm equipment back in the 70s-80s, so I'm familiar with the process and "over-engineering."

BTW, I'm a career NG Field Artillery officer, so I was vaguely familiar with the HEMAT A1 from seeing them at Ft Sill in school days. Cannon-cocker myself (105mm "popguns" mostly).

Tony
Mooresville, IN

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

The box beam runs the entire length of the wheelbase.
I don't think you could modify it without making it much weaker.
And to get the strength back you would have to use a lot of extra Steel and the thing is already heavy enough.

Ive seen a side dump option. Not for grain but other things.

They are cheap enough (for now anyway) to cut up and do a Frankenstein as you mentioned.

Anything is possible with the tools, cash, and skill.

Let everyone one know how it goes.

Ram1911

Thanks for the reply. I suspected the answer would go down that avenue, but not actually having physically touched one, it's hard to make a good SWAG even.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks