• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 12v winch??

mpokorney

Searched and could really find my answer.

I have opportunity to get a 12v Warn 16.5ti winch. Is there a reliable converter (24-12v) or something I can use to be able to put this winch on my M998 with 24v system, with out it ruining one of my batteries or possibly something else??

Any ideas or help is appreciated.

Thx
Matt

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe I have sold new 24v warn winches for $875 for complete kit...

I have no winches at this time.

Edit - Winches draw a bunch of amps. This is likely to kill any converters. I don't think there's a clean way to stick a 12v winch on a 24v system that wouldn't cost as much as a 24v or hydraulic win ch.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You should be able to pick up a 24v motor for under $200 if you look around. You'll also need to change the solenoids to 24v.

Once you find out the cost of the winch plus the cost of the conversion, you can decide if its a good value.

I would not run a converter to power it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been told you can run a 12v winch on 24v if you change out the relays. I've seen videos where people in off road racing run their winches on 24v to make them winch faster. If you watch the videos, it does speed them up quite a bit.

I've also been warned if you do this to be careful powering out as the winch can over-speed and sling itself apart.

I haven't tried this myself so I have no idea how long it will hold up on 24v so you may want to do some more research before you try it.

Last edited:

Maverick1701

I would not run a converter to power it.
X2 on not using a straight inverter to power a winch.

but expanding on this idea. could someone use a 24v-12v inverter to run a 12v battery charger? (like a tender style trickle charger) for a single 12v battery used for winching only? I would imagine if you had a deep cycle battery and were not using your winch day-in-day-out the trickle charger would have plenty of time to recharge the winch battery from your 24v system.
thoughts?

pjwest03

X2 on not using a straight inverter to power a winch.

but expanding on this idea. could someone use a 24v-12v inverter to run a 12v battery charger? (like a tender style trickle charger) for a single 12v battery used for winching only? I would imagine if you had a deep cycle battery and were not using your winch day-in-day-out the trickle charger would have plenty of time to recharge the winch battery from your 24v system.
thoughts?
This just about exactly how it's handled in electric vehicles. Particularly conversion vehicles. The drive system is at a much higher voltage. In order to use 12v accessories, they keep a 12v battery on board and use a DC/DC charger to keep it topped up.

One example here for 24-12 charging: http://www.powerstream.com/DCC-2412.htm

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took apart a few relay boxes off of early Hmmwv winches, and the solenoids were all 12 vdc....motor was 24 vdc.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been told you can run a 12v winch on 24v if you change out the relays. I've seen videos where people in off road racing run their winches on 24v to make them winch faster. If you watch the videos, it does speed them up quite a bit.

I haven't tried this myself so I have no idea how long it will hold up on 24v so you may want to do some more research before you try it.
I've seen and asked this question on other Bulletin Boards/forums and this is always the same answer. Just run it on 24V.

Go figure....

Best,

T

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks