• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 6.2, 3 speed trans adjusting questions

Glider

My M998 shifts the same regardless of throttle position. It barely gets moving before it shifts into 2nd and then shifts into 3rd fairly quick. It will not downshift from pedal input. It will downshift when slowing to a stop as one would assume a properly operating trans should. When accelerating from a stop with average throttle and manually shifting starting from 1 position it accelerates much better without taxing the engine. I have read about the downshift switch on engine. I don't think it is working or is improperly adjusted. I'm asking questions now so when I get started hopefully I can find a bad part or properly adjust everything in one session. My question: What is the best order of adjusting and checking components? Is there an adjustment on the transmission? If this has been covered already I didn't find in my searches. I've seen threads about the downshift switch that I am assuming pertains to full throttle shifts. I want to fix that but would like the trans to hold gears longer at part throttle also.

Any input appreciated

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You realize that these trucks are only meant to drive 0-45 MPH, and less if your gears are above 2.56

Glider

Yes I am aware. Like mentioned earlier when shifting manually at part throttle it accelerates as to be expected for 180hp. I'm inly looking to change the shift points.

ehinlein

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I am aware. Like mentioned earlier when shifting manually at part throttle it accelerates as to be expected for 180hp. I'm inly looking to change the shift points.
My HMMWV was one of the original old ones I redid prior to the current release so I’m a little behind the times, driveshaft e brake etc. 6.2 3 speed. I sourced the mechanical modulator at that time. It has cable linked to throttle cable which drives pin in modulator on side transmission. Usually these are vacuum in “normal” situations. If you’ve got that it could just be broken cable or disconnected, needs adjustment etc.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Military convoys typically travel at what speed?
Depends on where you are at.
When I was in South Korea we had a 25mph convoy speed.
When 5 or fewer vehicles we could do 35.
When on our own we drove whatever speed we wanted to.

I was on Ammo detail a lot. One trip to the range center (over 100 miles away) I had the S-3 (a Major) riding in the HMMWV with me.
His only requirement was that I not jump the vehicle.
We made it in under 2 hours.

Glider

Had time to work on the humvee. Turns out the throttle cable was poorly adjusted. The kickdown switch was not activating at wide open throttle. All that was necessary was to adjust out the slack. That allowed the throttle to be opened fully by the pedal. Its runs like a new unit! I might adjust the kickdown a little more to make the shifts happen sooner.

ehinlein

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had time to work on the humvee. Turns out the throttle cable was poorly adjusted. The kickdown switch was not activating at wide open throttle. All that was necessary was to adjust out the slack. That allowed the throttle to be opened fully by the pedal. Its runs like a new unit! I might adjust the kickdown a little more to make the shifts happen sooner.
It’s nice when you get an “easy fix”. Glad it’s working.

Glider

Adjusted the modulator cable. It is very easy to access thru doghouse. Can be done with 1 wrench and channell locks. Adjusted so housing moved to left in picture. Didn't hardly get my hands dirty. It made a big difference in shifting and makes truck feel robust rather than sluggish.

All in all. It was well worth it. Adjusting the throttle cable to fully open and engage kickdown switch,then adjusting modulator. Both of which are two easy to access usually clean areas. Only expense was time. I would venture to bet a large majority of m998 would positively benefit from those easy adjustments.

The photo is taken from passenger side looking into doghouse. The adjustment is at bottom of picture. I exposed more threads to the left of bracket.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks