• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m998 6.2 to 6.5 turbo upgrade

xmiltm998

Hello all, I have looked through the threads to see if anyone has posted anything about this, might have missed it but I did not see any. I'm currently in the middle of placing the 6.5 engine into my 998 and it seems to be sitting crooked. When looking side view at the front of the engine from the drivers side, it is a couple inches further fwd than the passenger's side.

I have looked at the TM's drawing several times, the blocks the engine mounts bolt to are different and I do have them installed correctly. Also when you go under the truck, if you were to straighten out the engine, the output shaft from the transfer case would be would be hitting the fuel tank. This might be how the 6.2 also sat and I never noticed because I didn't pay much attention to how it is sitting, but with the radiator out and nothing in front of the engine at the moment it is noticeable. has anyone noticed this also? it is hard for me to get past this thinking they would put the engine in a little crooked.

Seems there is a lot of back and forth on weather or not you need to do a body lift to gain clearance between the turbo and the windshield frame, you do not. There is a couple inches to play with. You do however have to do some minor cutting with a cut off wheel where the dog house frame is. There is a thin 1 inch horizontal strip (not the vertical) for the frame of the dog house cover, you need to cut about 4 inches on the passengers side where the exhaust manifold is and about 6 inches in the back where the turbo is, that's it very simple.

Any ideas where I can get a doghouse for the 6.5 turbo? I have tried Kascar, ebay, Mac, Eastern

thanks!

Action

Then engine is supposed to be angled like that. Look back under there and see that the front differential is pushed to one side.

tonydamato

The engine is angled? To me that makes no sense, if it was angled that would mean that the rear transfer case output would not be a straight shot to the differential. There is a reason that the T-Case has a offset front output, that's to compensate for the front diff being moved to one side or another. Ive honestly never looked at mine to see how the engine sits in it but that makes no sense whatsoever. I can see it being offset to one side or another, ive seen that before, but not sit crooked. If that's the case, I don't get it.

xmiltm998

I agree, its got me baffled. I'm going to keep hooking everything up starting with the drivelines I will know if it is right or not when these are hooked up.

xmiltm998

I will take some pictures and share with everyone. I'm not that good with the pics when I go to work it's to work don't really have my phone on me much

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmwv engines sit at an angle.....I install a new motor in the shop monthly.
as far as body lift...no, you don't need to a body lift, but you will wish you did.
ive done more turbo conversions then any other hmmwv company on the market and can tell you
from experience, you want at least a 1/2in lift. Also depends on the truck, if you have an A2, you will never get the
heater plenum run from one side to the other.

ryanruck

Hmmwv engines sit at an angle.....I install a new motor in the shop monthly.
as far as body lift...no, you don't need to a body lift, but you will wish you did.
ive done more turbo conversions then any other hmmwv company on the market and can tell you
from experience, you want at least a 1/2in lift. Also depends on the truck, if you have an A2, you will never get the
heater plenum run from one side to the other.
Just curious, are these the right body mounts to give the correct amount of lift needed?

jackson76550

no body lift on my turbo converted truck. but takes a bit of creativity to service the upper intake, or whatever you may call it. I found a turbo doghouse on facebook of all places. the guy does not have any more of them but I see them advertised on occasion.

the engines are more offset in these trucks than in anything I have ever worked on before. so that's normal

Action

Look in the -10 TM in DRIVELINE OPERATION. May be section 1.15. It shows overhead diagram of chassis with driveline. You can see how the powerplant sits at an angle.

TM-9-2320-280-20-1_60_2.jpg

xmiltm998

yup! clear as day there. thanks for the input everyone!!! hopefully I can get it wrapped up this weekend if I have time lol beer, family, beer, beer.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks