• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 6.2L CORRECT STARTER

Iambiig

Looks like the starter will need replacing soon. intermittent whizzz sound at start sometimes.

it is a '93 or '94, and the manual that I have shows 2920011687891 or MFY 6701UT. That shows to be a 13 tooth pinion gear. I also see that some starters for these have a 10 tooth gear.

Is there a way to to tell without pulling out the starter. Would like to have the starter in hand to prepare

MattNC

You shouldn't need to pull the starter to count it, just the cover over the flexplate which is maybe 4 bolts if I remember correctly. I went around in circles getting mine rebuilt then rebuilt again. Finally I just ordered a completely rebuild from the place that supplies them to the US military. It was Melton Industries

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my (6.5) I was able to read the label on the existing starter, and just ordered a new one. I've got the same sort of thing where it whirrls sometimes instead of starting. I've not yet had to replace it, but I've got one waiting.

My plan is to get the original rebuilt once the new one is in place, but I wasn't going to screw with an unknown rebuilt.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
10 tooth, that's what I thought they would be, the diesel has a courser pitch (less teeth same dia..) than the gasser, the gasser uses a 13 tooth.
I had to look it up but the diesel has a 139 tooth flywheel the gasser a 168 tooth but both are the same dia.
this of course would also apply to the starter.

Last edited:

Iambiig

10 tooth, that's what I thought they would be, the diesel has a courser pitch (less teeth same dia..) than the gasser, the gasser uses a 13 tooth.
I had to look it up but the diesel has a 139 tooth flywheel the gasser a 168 tooth but both are the same dia.
this of course would also apply to the starter.
And that would apply to all 6.2's?

this is the tag off the starter itself, still on the unit, a little beat up

IMG-6528.jpg

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
iF you need the updated starter bracket on the back as it looks more like a J than a slot, I have an extra for sale. Send me a pm

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All HMMWV starters are interchangeable as far as I know, they are made by several different companies.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, then we are saying that the 13t starter will be able to work with the diesel 139t flywheel?
I do not think so, all mine are 10 tooth, where are you seeing 13 tooth starters? post a link

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know, does not look right, of course as long as the pitch was right a starter can be built with a variety of different tooth counts, but that would mean the offset compared to the block bolt pattern would be different to accommodate the number of teeth, most sellers say that their starter covers every year of the HMMWV not just two years in the middle of the run, I would search some of well known dealers like these just for example for a rebuilt starter, Hopefully someone much smarter than I will also comment here..
https://www.meltons.com/product/mss-reman-24v-hmmwv-starter-mfy-6701ut/
Also the dealer you listed has a "hidden" feedback score and it is 98.8, I try not to deal with anyone not at least in the mid 99s
Edit that dealer you cited is very large, they may be using a "stock" photo and could have also been mistaken about the number of teeth.

Last edited:

Iambiig

I don't know, does not look right, of course as long as the pitch was right a starter can be built with a variety of different tooth counts, but that would mean the offset compared to the block bolt pattern would be different to accommodate the number of teeth, most sellers say that their starter covers every year of the HMMWV not just two years in the middle of the run, I would search some of well known dealers like these just for example for a rebuilt starter, Hopefully someone much smarter than I will also comment here..
https://www.meltons.com/product/mss-reman-24v-hmmwv-starter-mfy-6701ut/
Also the dealer you listed has a "hidden" feedback score and it is 98.8, I try not to deal with anyone not at least in the mid 99s
Edit that dealer you cited is very large, they may be using a "stock" photo and could have also been mistaken about the number of teeth.
That is interesting. Meltons is not that far away from me, and they do not list how many teeth, just that it will fit the M998. I will reach out to see if they have come across a tooth issue

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is interesting. Meltons is not that far away from me, and they do not list how many teeth, just that it will fit the M998. I will reach out to see if they have come across a tooth issue
That would make it much easier if you had any issues, I hate carrying one around, would not even think of shipping one!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter