• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 6.5 motor swap advice

89M998

Hi all, recently purchased an HMMWV with a blown 6.5. I've been told that it would be cheaper to put a used civi motor in it than rebuild the existing. Not sure if that's true or not. The shop I'm having it done at said that the internals on a civi motor are the same as the military. Is this true? Their plan is to swap all the accessories off of the blown motor onto the civi so it will basically be a military motor. Also they want to put a turbo 6.5 in it. Question is can I drop a turbo civi 6.5 in it and swap all the accessories off the old motor?

Thanks

tomelroy

it will not be cheap, but now (needing a new engine) is a great time to consider a 6.6 duramax with an allison 6 speed. Then sell off your old parts

Action

These have GM motors in them. I put a 6.2 from a vending truck in my 1985. swap all of the accessories and electronics over. It was like $300 at a junk yard.

tomcata3

southern metal in wilmington ,nc sells motors , transmission and transfer case
they strip HMMWV's look them up if you want to save money

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
southern metal in wilmington ,nc sells motors , transmission and transfer case
they strip HMMWV's look them up if you want to save money
The issue with Southern Metals is that they don't ship and everyone gets their pricing and then flips out when someone gives them the cost of shipped parts. It takes a person's time to go there, prepare for shipping and transport to a shipper. More to it than just their low prices (which btw have climbed significantly on some things)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Civilian 6.5s are not like military 6.5s. I am doing the swap at the moment. You also need a body lift of 1inch atleast. The drivers side exhaust would not clear the inside tunnel with stock height on the body. You need a turbo dog house or refab your old one. Also run new exhaust

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Action

Civilian 6.5s are not like military 6.5s. I am doing the swap at the moment. You also need a body lift of 1inch atleast. The drivers side exhaust would not clear the inside tunnel with stock height on the body. You need a turbo dog house or refab your old one. Also run new exhaust

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
I didn't see where they mentioned a turbo.
Turbo models only have 1/2" spacers. They have different shape tunnel at the doghouse.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks