• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Battery compartment

NormB

It's in the manuals. First aid kit, mostly, but you can easily fit a 35 amp SLA battery in there for a dual voltage generator sytem, plus some room for other stuff.

Action

first aid kit in the bracket / strap. put a couple MREs or block and tackle. Or a couple books in ziplock bags to read when you break down and have to wait for someone to come get you.

Wire Fox

Greetings ! Can anyone tell me what the spare compartment is for next to the batteries
under the passenger seat ?
Thanks...
Bob
It actually depends on your HMMWV configuration is. The answer to every variant up to about 2008 will be in one of these two manuals: TM 9-2320-280-10 or TM 9-2320-387-10. For most of us with a typical M998 or M998A1, that compartment is intended to hold tire chains, a slave cable, and a tow chain. In the driver's seat base, you should store a pamphlet bag (to carry the above-mentioned -10 operator guide and maintenance logs), first aid kit, and flashlight. To the left of the driver seat, a 5 LB "Purple-K"-type fire extinguisher. In the straps behind the driver seat, store the road triangle kit, scissor jack, and tool bag.

If you have any other type of HMMWV or special configuration, take a peek through either of the above-mentioned manuals to find your HMMWV's data in the "STOWAGE GUIDE" section. You can also compare your HMMWV against the appropriate -10-HR manual to see what all of the authorized items would have been for your model of HMMWV.

Of course, it's your choice what you actually put in these places. In that side battery compartment on my HMMWV, I have a PulseTech Power Distribution Unit occupying that space, but there's still enough room for probably one or two of the designated items to go in there. Though for the sake of not damaging the PDU, I'll probably just use one of the rear seat bases to stow chains and slave cable since they're all infrequent items.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks