• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Best Glow Plugs To Buy

WhoMe08721

Hey Guys,

It's cold again here in New Jersey and as we all know the Hmmwv hates the cold and kicks like a mule on start up. My question today is what is the best glow plugs to buy and how often should one replace them with new one. I only get about (2) years on (Wellman Glow plugs) are these good plug???? Also I have tested the cold start advance solenoid with the instructions from the (Component Testing and Troubleshooting Manual) and it checks out good. But is there any thing I have have to do to make the cold start advance work????

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stay away from ebay. Go to MacMotors or Kascar (Real4wd) and buy the glow plugs.

When you get them (from any supplier) verify the hex is _NOT_ 10mm, if it is, send them back, they're counterfit. Counterfits fail and cause damage to the glow controller and/or get stuck in the engine!

Once you have the real thing, I would expect (depending on the amount of driving) around 2 years (maybe more) on a set of plugs before they will start to swell. Note, they'll still work for much longer, but the swelling is key. For about $8 a glow plug (x8), just replace them every few years before they get stuck in the engine or cause problems.

As for the system working, with good glow plugs and a modern start box (military or one of the aftermarket manual ones) my HMMWV started just fine at -20F, started within seconds.. (I did have to push the accelerator a bit for about 30 seconds to keep it running, but starting was not the problem!)

(I've got a 6.5L GEP, no turbo, in my rig...)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks