• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 blinker issue

Aviator85

Hey guys. New to the military vehicle game. I have an issue with my rear driver turn signal not working on my m998. A week or so ago everything worked fine when I picked it up but now the driver rear signal won't work. Front driver works fine.

When set to hazard all flashers function perfectly. Even the driver rear. Taking the housing off and looking at the filament (with hazard on) both pieces of filament are firing. Every other piece of lighting on the vehicle functions perfectly.

Everything is still stock. No LEDs or anything like that. I haven't messed with anything electrical at all on it as of yet. Other than disconnecting the batteries and charging them individually.

I'm stumped. Any thoughts?

TL;DR

Driver rear turn signal doesn't work. With hazards on it does. Bulb appears good. Everything stock. Stumped.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably the thermal flasher unit or maybe the switch lever....I have the same issue with my M1097. Its intermittent. Haven't swapped anything yet.

Last edited:

Aviator85

Thanks for the reply RWH! After your reply I checked out the parts you suggested and disassembled the turn signal switch lever and couldn't find any problems initially. I actually ended up disassembling it four times before finding the problem with it lol.

It ended up being the pads in the turn signal switch that had deteriorated where they made contact. It doesn't seem repairable in any way but for the short term fix I slightly bent the arm that connects each pad so it would touch a clean area when it makes contact.

In the end it looks like I'll need to replace the switch but this will get me by for now.

Thanks again for the help!

Wile E. Coyote

Flasher handles and flasher boxes I consider a high failure item, so I carry both as 'road spares' on long trips. I won't even install the older-pattern flasher handles with the lever made of plastic because every one I've ever had (used ones, granted) failed within a few weeks of installation.

99nouns

Use electrical contact grease at copper points where they make contact, mine hasnt failed me yet since 1.5 years. ..

Aviator85

Yeah that had me stumped for a good while. It did take me about half a dozen times taking it apart and looking it over to finally figure it out lol. Never thought about electrical grease. Gonna have to pick some of that stuff up. It seems like I'm gonna need to be keeping a few extra "just in case" parts around for the hmmwv and keep a tool box in it too lol..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks