• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m998 body on a2 frame and drive train

dilvoy

There is no ID number stamped into a Humvee frame. The only numbers would be on the data plate that's riveted to the drivers side of the B Pillar. It would be seen if the door were opened. There is a body tub number stamped into the tub, but it is not a serial or ID number in the normal sense.

ClarkeF

Actually there is a serial number stamped on the body on top of the A-beam on the drivers side below the windsheild. That number matches the data plate on the side. I have yet to find a serial number on the frame - but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Actually there is a serial number stamped on the body on top of the A-beam on the drivers side below the windsheild. That number matches the data plate on the side. I have yet to find a serial number on the frame - but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
Clarke or anyone else,

Would you please post a picture of where this serial number is stamped? I have looked for it over and over on my 998 and have yet to find it. I just want to make sure I'm looking in the right spot.

dilvoy

The number that I think Clarke is refering to is the tub number. Mine is stamped on the cross beam just ahead of the drivers windshield. This area would be covered when the hood is closed. Mine is a five digit number.

Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here is a foto of where my tub number is stamped.
Thanks George. I have looked all along that lip. I'm guessing it is hidden under a layer of paint. The previous owner had the tub media blasted before it was repainted, so I guess it's possible the number was blasted off in the process.

dilvoy

Mine is stamped in a half baked way. Only the top half of the numbers are inprinted. I really don't think they put too much effort into these numbers and a couple of coats or Carc will make them dissapear really quickly. I just went down to the garage to look at them and the person who stamped them did not make shure the wheels with the numbers were locked into position so a couple of numbers are a bit low and only half punched into the aluminum. The body tub number is 17077 and the MFR serial number is 018932 and my data plate is the original one for my body. There may be some sort of way to tell which tub numbers abd which serial numbers may be good for each other, but I really don't think so. The WWII jeeps had sequential tub numbers, but then they were loaded into train cars to go to the assy plant then they were unloaded and not put in place in any order so I just think that the HMMWV tub numbers were to keep track of them while they were being assembled so if there was some sort of problem with the goop in between the panels or something else like that, they could identify any tibs or vehicles that may need some attention.