• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Brake Issues

Action

Oh trust me I am. LOL Mostly will be done by me if at all possible. I would have tought he would have done a simple Google search

I do appreciate all the feed back and advice. First thing first. I feel based on my research I am already getting a fair deal and price has been negotiated. So we are clear on what is what on the purchase it is an 1988 (Motor Pool rebuilt in 2000) speedo showing 17k which I tend to think is correct but who really knows. I am thinking it was probably a National Guard Unit. It is an overall very clean soft top 4 man (with cargo cover) unmolested and all original. Only negatives that stand out is no doors, and brake issue that I have mentioned. No on road state title (has SF97) but NC is pretty easy to get one.

We negotiated it to $12k so I highly doubt he is going to take $7k for it. If you know of clean examples with some minor brake issues for less than $12k give me a PM.
So, is he going to get a title for it before you buy it? I didn’t know if the sf97 is transferrable...

RJTM998

So, is he going to get a title for it before you buy it? I didn’t know if the sf97 is transferrable...
I am working out those details, but he can issue a reassignment which is what planetgov does to the original purchaser. The original SF97 is to planetgov then to auction purchaser on a reassignment on planetgov letter head and notarized.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have a good deal I think. I’ve seen some for more and a few for less, but yours seems to be a runner. I would still haggle given the bad brake fluid. 10K easy.

If I were to sell my 1987 Slantback with turret, I won’t accept less than 65k.

If you pull this off you are doing well my friend.

EDIT - no title means issues so you should harp on that a little bit. Could take a year to title

RJTM998

You have a good deal I think. I’ve seen some for more and a few for less, but yours seems to be a runner. I would still haggle given the bad brake fluid. 10K easy.

If I were to sell my 1987 Slantback with turret, I won’t accept less than 65k.

If you pull this off you are doing well my friend.

EDIT - no title means issues so you should harp on that a little bit. Could take a year to title
According to people I have talked to in NC that have done these it is a simple walk in and get it done kind of thing with no DMV inspection just a few notarized forms, etc, etc. NC made changes last year to make the process much easier.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
According to people I have talked to in NC that have done these it is a simple walk in and get it done kind of thing with no DMV inspection just a few notarized forms, etc, etc. NC made changes last year to make the process much easier.
The SF97 at the NC DMV locations here in Charlotte doesn't do you a lot of good. Especially if it isn't in YOUR NAME. Attempting to reassign the SF97 is definitely going to blow their little brain circuits. IF you can take the seller with you to the DMV with proper identification and the SF97 (in his name) and proper identification for yourself - they may be able to make the transfer. Maybe...

RJTM998

The SF97 at the NC DMV locations here in Charlotte doesn't do you a lot of good. Especially if it isn't in YOUR NAME. Attempting to reassign the SF97 is definitely going to blow their little brain circuits. IF you can take the seller with you to the DMV with proper identification and the SF97 (in his name) and proper identification for yourself - they may be able to make the transfer. Maybe...
He is close by so that is my other option that I plan to keep as an open with him.

Last edited:

springer1981

12K seems like an average price. For flipping, I don't think you'll make much if any. If you do anything to fix it up, you won't get your money back. If you buy just because you want one and plan to keep, drive and have fun with it, then you're ok. It really is a stripped down version with no frills at all. It has a TH400 3 spd transmission with a realistic top speed about 45-50. Is it a 6.2? 6.5? or a 6.5 GEP engine? If it was rebuilt with a 6.5 GEP that would be a bonus but if it is a 6.2 still, not so much. IMO, the air lift bumper, tire carrier, x-doors, winch, 6.5 GEP or 4L80 4spd OD transmission are what anyone that really wants to drive these are looking for. My guess is that doesn't have any of them or maybe 1.

Keep in mind that now the much newer models are coming up to auction more and some great deals to be had. Some in the same price range. I'm not trying to change your mind just recommending you think about it and be careful, things add up real fast. I'm not saying it can't be a good a truck but that is no money maker IMO.

RJTM998

12K seems like an average price. For flipping, I don't think you'll make much if any. If you do anything to fix it up, you won't get your money back. If you buy just because you want one and plan to keep, drive and have fun with it, then you're ok. It really is a stripped down version with no frills at all. It has a TH400 3 spd transmission with a realistic top speed about 45-50. Is it a 6.2? 6.5? or a 6.5 GEP engine? If it was rebuilt with a 6.5 GEP that would be a bonus but if it is a 6.2 still, not so much. IMO, the air lift bumper, tire carrier, x-doors, winch, 6.5 GEP or 4L80 4spd OD transmission are what anyone that really wants to drive these are looking for. My guess is that doesn't have any of them or maybe 1.

Keep in mind that now the much newer models are coming up to auction more and some great deals to be had. Some in the same price range. I'm not trying to change your mind just recommending you think about it and be careful, things add up real fast. I'm not saying it can't be a good a truck but that is no money maker IMO.
Based on my research (and I have done a lot) of units sold, current units on the normal market places like FB Marketplace, Ebay, etc it is a good deal, and feel I could flip it for a profit if I chose to go that route. I am not referring to any auctions like any of the Milsurp auctions but are currently in civilian hands being sold. Could you find one like this in the $12k price point? Yep, just like I did but I don't think it is the market trend. Mind showing me similar units like this for $12k or less? Links? Maybe I have missed something.

Action

Based on my research (and I have done a lot) of units sold, current units on the normal market places like FB Marketplace, Ebay, etc it is a good deal, and feel I could flip it for a profit if I chose to go that route. I am not referring to any auctions like any of the Milsurp auctions but are currently in civilian hands being sold. Could you find one like this in the $12k price point? Yep, just like I did but I don't think it is the market trend. Mind showing me similar units like this for $12k or less? Links? Maybe I have missed something.
In your research, are you looking at “for sale” prices or “sold” prices? How do you look at sold items on FB?

RJTM998

In your research, are you looking at “for sale” prices or “sold” prices? How do you look at sold items on FB?
Like I said I have looked at completed auctions on Ebay, old listings on the internet, current listings, etc. So, can you show me some like this one in that $12 price range? Like I said maybe I am missing something.

springer1981

I might not be able to find one just like that and at that price but I will take a look and see and post back. My point was just suggesting you evaluate your end goals, cost, time etc. The one you posted pictures of is the most basic of basic models with little to no accessories, not even doors. It all adds up fast, for example you already need brake work and a title. Could be $15 to fix, could be a $1000.

SmartDrug

My $0.02- I bought a M1123 (A2 truck, 6.5 GEP NA, 4 Speed, etc.) with no top/doors, 60 mi on the odometer from IROAN, very little use indicated from everything mechanical-for $15k with an on-road title. It needed a bit of wrenching (heater core, hoses, etc) but aside from a top/doors/tires, nothing over $200.

At $12k it’s an OK deal, but hardly a bargain, especially with the unknown stuff already going on, and almost everyone would take an A2 for a small premium.

Like I said I have looked at completed auctions on Ebay, old listings on the internet, current listings, etc. So, can you show me some like this one in that $12 price range? Like I said maybe I am missing something.

RJTM998

I might not be able to find one just like that and at that price but I will take a look and see and post back. My point was just suggesting you evaluate your end goals, cost, time etc. The one you posted pictures of is the most basic of basic models with little to no accessories, not even doors. It all adds up fast, for example you already need brake work and a title. Could be $15 to fix, could be a $1000.
Here are just a few examples. Keep in mind some of these are "modded" and mods IMO are subjective as to the value it adds or takes away. I myself prefer one that is original and not molested with aftermarket parts, wheels, seats, etc so for me as a buyer that would not add any value and would take away value. Also, some of these auctions were 2 years ago and the market has gone up since then.

springer1981

Here's a 1985 M1038 titled, running, front winch, doors and a few other things for $13,500
13500.jpg

Here's a 1986 with a 6.5 GEP engine, Front winch, H1 wheels and tires, Needs a smart box/eess so not running. $7500
7500.jpg

75001.jpg

And here's the deal of the day, a 1995 Rod Hall M1025a2 6.5 4spd 4 new x-door for $20K ... Sure it's more but it is also 4 times the truck.
20000.jpg

I can't stress enough, it's your money and you can spend it however you want. No mater how much you spend it doesn't affect me at all. I'm merely trying to put a few things into perspective for you. I saw plenty that while they are listed for 16-20K they had a lot more to offer for the money and many of them aren't "flying off the shelf" at those prices. 12K is a lot for that truck IMO. I almost bought M1123 6.5, 4spd, x-doors, tire carrier for $16K but decided to pass.

Regardless of what you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI. I purchased an exMarines ECV non-runner with engine that spins for 12k. Turbo and a/c. Hardtop.

Parts to repair so far 2k. Eventually driving a turbo… priceless.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks