• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m998 bumper extension

nickd

I found a take off rear bumper extension for my M998. It is not required to tow the 1102 series trailers with the rear mounted spare tire carrier but is needed to tow some of the other military trailers outfitted with surge brakes. The tire is in the way when towing the other style trailers. I wanted the flexability to tow either trailer. In order to mount the spare tire stowed position latch it had to be modified and welded to the top of the bumper. The extension piece uses the spacer with the grease fitting from the earlier rear bumper and not the one that is used on the heavy bumper. I kept the rear bumper reinforcing plate in place as well. Here is what it looks lke installed

Attachments

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the extension. What was involved with moving the trailer wiring and hitch?

nickd

Setoyota,
The hitch is not a big deal to move, pull the cotter pin, remove the big castle nut and pull it from its original position and reinstall with the thicker backing piece with the grease zerk on it. There are 2 types of hitch backing plates that I know of. The thinner one is used for the air lift bumper and the thicker one is used for the original thinner rear bumbers.

Moving the trailer receptacle invloves relocating some of the wiring harness cable supports. You will need 4 6" long 7/16 or 1/2" grade 8 bolts washers and locking nuts for mounting the extension

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks