• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 driven to fast

Blackmagic94

I told him to drive 53 because of the warning on the speedometer. I bought a maintenance truck with the generator/welder etc. a few years back in Vegas at the air base. I flew down to drive it home. I called a military equipment supplier in Ogden and they told me that I could drive it at 70. Well I did not make it back to North Dakota. So now I don't take any chances. I still have the Chevy sitting in the back 40.
No Hmmwv says 53mph on the speedo.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck won't start, adding a ground is not going to fix it....your have to know if your getting all the required things to make a Diesel engine work:

1. Air, make sure you have no obstruction in the air intake system
2. Heat, this comes from the glow plugs, check them with an ohm meter, make sure you are getting approx 7-9secs of glow plug wait light on time, of not, bad plugs and most likely a bad EESS.
3. Fuel, just cuz it's got fuel in the tank don't mean you have it getting to the injectors. Is the fuel pump good, is the filter clogged, did the pump fail?
Crack one of the injectors and have a buddy crank the truck. You should get fuel, if not? Well...it won't start.
Check for 24v on the connector on top of the injector pump, the connector on the forward right side of the pump, that is the fuel shutoff solenoid...I have seen them have bad connections and that truck will never start as long as the solenoid is not energized. It allows for the flow of fuel to the injectors. The other wire on the injector pump, the one that is facing at a rearward angle is the cold advance....don't worry about that one, the truck will start with or without it.

the way I check a fuel filter and fuel pump is to remove the hose going to the injector pump, install a hose to a jar and crank the engine for a few seconds....if you get a large volume of fuel, that's not your problem.

cq141

lol that's funny because I remember getting in a few Humvee that I wasn't signed for and was told to go check on something
so many good memories ahahahhah
lets just say I might have used some of these and I apoloigize
lol

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear...but here is the worst of it...it can come loose while driving, guess what happens when that happens.
and you get no warning....it's a deangerous condition.
i owned a truck that did that....I replaced the pump , you can replace the shutoff solenoid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks