• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 exhaust system options?

Mikei998

Looking to replace my entire exhaust system On my 1990 m998 . Do I have any preformance options or am I just stuck with oem ? Want to replace the whole system. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went through this last year on my 92 M998 when I had to remove (most) of the system to upgrade to a 4L80 tranny and the exhaust disintegrated in my hands.

Performance options? Nah - you don't need ANY stink'in performance options. You drag racing your rig?
  • You might be able to find an old rusty stock system os fleabay or FB, pay an arm and leg, and have the same problem in a year or so.
  • You can have an exhaust shop make you up something aftermarket that will work. Depending on your area and the shop willing, you still might pay almost an arm and a leg
  • You can shop around for the stock components and pay an arm and leg
There is no magic.

Be aware that there are two different cross over pipes, the ones that come out of the manifolds, that evidently look identical but are slightly different width for the turbo vs. NA. I did not know and I lucked out and happened to get the correct one but other forum members were not so lucky.

I ended up looking around for NOS and NIB stuff and just bit the bullet. I did paint it with some high temp primer and silver paint so it won't rust as quickly.

Last edited:

canadacountry

hmm can we maybe say "performance in the parking lot"? I don't know what else to even suggest about abusing the english language hehe ;-)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking to replace my entire exhaust system On my 1990 m998 . Do I have any preformance options or am I just stuck with oem ? Want to replace the whole system. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Honestly though finding a decent used system would be the easiest, next would be finding a GOOD muffler shop to fab up a complete system, that may be a challenge, the shops around here only turn out crap.
Put a want in the classifieds.

canadacountry

regarding muffler shop, couldn't we wish for something a bit like Donaldson but sized more for smaller vehicles [especially with under-chassis systems] instead of big trucks? not saying there should be only one supplier, but simply that its someone who is clear on what they offer for a definitively almost-universal catalogue listing itself that is

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks