• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 flasher problem

papakb

I don't know what your mechanical aptitude is but these are simple, flat steel covers and you already have the templates for them even if they're rusty . If they're not pitted then why not just sand them and throw a coat of Rustoleum paint onto them? New covers are $40 plus shipping and Rustoleum is $10. Part of owning one of these trucks is the TLC of bringing them back from the condition the military left them in and we all know how 20 year olds treat anything they didn't have to pay for in the first place!

Chirider

Don't overlook the ground strap that ties the 2 mounting/ground lugs together. I've seen one rusted right in half causing a similar problem.
Don't overlook the ground strap that ties the 2 mounting/ground lugs together. I've seen one rusted right in half causing a similar problem.
You are correct. I had time to work on the truck today and see that the ground strap has completely disintegrated. I need to source a ground strap now. So far I havent been successful using search engines. Will a wire steel mesh one work ?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are correct. I had time to work on the truck today and see that the ground strap has completely disintegrated. I need to source a ground strap now. So far I havent been successful using search engines. Will a wire steel mesh one work ?
A wire with a couple ring terminals is all you really need to connect the two together and the ground wire.

springer1981

Give me a few minutes and I'll find where I bought mine. They are cheap enough that I would just replace them with the exact part but yes, you could use any method you want.

springer1981

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of my blinker stopped working all at once today. Light works on indicator lever (lights up, but does not blink), but none of the lights outside work. Replaced indicator lever and it's still not working. Using mil spec bulbs all the way around. 1996 M1097 HMMWV.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of my blinker stopped working all at once today. Light works on indicator lever (lights up, but does not blink), but none of the lights outside work. Replaced indicator lever and it's still not working. Using mil spec bulbs all the way around. 1996 M1097 HMMWV.
Sounds like a bad flasher unit.

papakb

Almost all of the military flashers are crap made by the lowest bidder that didn't give a damn if they worked or not. There are some commercial ones made by Grote and others that rely on their products lasting that can be used in their place with good results. Search for flasher reworks above. I installed a Grote flasher unit in one of my dead ones and it's been working fine for years.

Flasher Rework (1).jpgFlasher Rework (2).jpgFlasher Rework (3).jpgFlasher Rework (4).jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks