• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 flexible brake lines

DatGuyC

Came across a kit, pn: 57k3503, that looks like it replaces the hard lines with flexible ruber ones. I'm about to replace all the rotors and pads on my truck anyways and was wondering if this was a worthwhile mod while I'm in there. Did a search but couldn't really find anything. Anybody have any experience with the kit?

ClarkeF

Recommended. Eventually you will break a hard-line doing pad service. The flex lines are awesome. bluehumer.com sells flex lines kits that aren't military obviously but add even more length so you can rest the caliper on the ground out of the way when you are working on them.

DatGuyC

Alright so I started on this project today thinking it would only take a couple hours to do the front and back. Wrong. 5 hours to do the front with new pads and rotors. The line that connects the line off the proportioning valve to the front tee was bent the opposite of what it needed to be. Not really a problem since I could bend it the other way like it was supposed to be, but I guess that's why they were surplussing the kits. Not a whole lot of room to work and I hate trying to thread in brake fittings. Hopefully will be able to get the back done next weekend, I'll make sure to leave plenty of time haha.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed a kit for a customer, IMHO They are not worth the effort, I have no real issues doing regular pad swaps with the old setup, IMO, this just added that many more parts and leak points to a system that didn't require it.
i too found that line bent the wrong way, had to order a new one...which was correct.
Of you can undo 2 9/16 bolts, you can do a pad and rotor swap, there is no need to remove the caliper from the
brake line...again, just my opinion.

DatGuyC

You're probably right, but I already bought it and I'm a sucker for cool little addons haha. It did give me a chance to take the pins out of the caliper and grease them a little so they move smoothly, they were a little tight. The guys over on the h1 forums were talking about a new rubber boot that doesn't require the white teflon sleeve anymore and holds grease better. Napa part #82182A which seems pretty cheap, might have to look into that.

TedG

New/rebuilt calipers for the front are under $20 at auto stores and they come with all new parts.

DEA AK

View attachment 579917Picture of the front hoses.
Hi,
Older thread but figured I'd try... I'm new to all this and found that I am missing the line in the right rear, all the way from the T to the caliper. Would you happen to be able to tell me what fitting goes / connects the break line to the rear caliper? I had to find a 3/16 (I believe) plug in the meantime but need to order a brake line replacement.

Thank you,
David

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,
Older thread but figured I'd try... I'm new to all this and found that I am missing the line in the right rear, all the way from the T to the caliper. Would you happen to be able to tell me what fitting goes / connects the break line to the rear caliper? I had to find a 3/16 (I believe) plug in the meantime but need to order a brake line replacement.

Thank you,
David
Here are the resources you need to find the part numbers you need, again

TM 9-2320-280-24P-1, Start at figure 162, numbers 23 and 25 is the right rear brake line, you will also probably need some other parts also depending on what is missing

Here is the link to the TMs

Your M1097A2 has a UOC of BVY, remember to only use DOT 5 SILICONE brake fluid or you will contaminate the brake system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks