• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Fluid Recommendations

AynorArmory

I got a list together of all the daily/monthly maint. i need to do on my M998 but wanted to see what Oil, grease, Fluids and filters work best for an everyday driver M998. Thanks in advance.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
It does not matter how or when or if you ever drive it.
One should use that what it is they said to use.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...8-Lube-Order-amp-Transportability-Guidance-TM

Just click on the things, it'll work.
Now I want to hear that thing, it is like the music, it is a tune, I know the tune but not the music.

GAA!, what is GAA!.

I can hear it already from here.... I'll just goto NAPA or Wally world and get something

Last edited:

papakb

GAA stands for Grease, Automotive and Artillery. This goes all the way back to the second war if not before. This is a case where the original isn't necessarily the best because in the last 70 years there have been incredible improvements in lubricants thanks mainly to the space program and modern chemistry. The newer lubricants are significantly better, last longer, and provide better lubricity. Molybdenum is what you want for chassis and drive train lube nowdays.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot has changed. Like the emphasis changing from making effective lubricants to making environmentally friendly lubricants instead.
You are 100% correct. I just took a Machine lubricant analyst class for work. It's scary how bad motor oils have gotten. According to my instructor the best Diesel engine oil ever produced was removed from the market in 1985. Before that oil was improved based on it's lube qualities. It is now on a steady decline because of environmentally friendly reasons. Before I took this class I never believed in adding ANYTHING to motor oil. Now I'm a little worried my engines may not be long for this world.

papakb

Luckily for us the machining equipment used to make the engines is so much better today maybe that'll offset the loss of good lubrication. I remember years ago they used to say that as long as the oil was kept clean it never wore out and it was only the byproducts of the combustion that degraded it's ability to work properly. It's sad to think that once again our do-gooder environmentalists have put the screws to us!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
post #3
Only three or four slams so far from the GAA comment. Readers are falling off/ ....wait

S You all studied about mixing different grease.
And one found that maybe one shouldn't do that.

GAA is the MINIMUM necessary, heck, some of OUR stuff has not been greased since '69
Yeah, I proved that too.
No Grease, everything not tight Fixed that too.
Oh, Wally World has grease on sale, perhaps one should ask "It is from where"? Is the sand already in it?

jackshaft IMG_1355.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks