• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 fuel sensor change

Duster06

I picked up my "new" M998 the other day and have spent the past few days replacing every fluid and filter in the whole vehicle. After I pumped out the old diesel fuel and dropped the tank to clean it, I noticed that the wires on top of this part are broken and likely to fail in the future. I'd like to replace it. I know that it senses the fuel level of the tank, but it looks different from any HMMWV fuel sensor that I have found online.

Does anyone know where I can buy this replacement part or know of a comparable part? It's a 1987 6.5L in case that makes a difference.

BLK HMMWV

Is it a round black sensor?
That is the newest style and a recommended up grade from the original style with the cork float.
Does your truck have the upgraded access panel modification done to it?
It allows for the replacement of the sending unit without having to drop your fuel tank.
If your tank is still out and you have the old style cork float sender now is the time to make the modification to the floor in the HMMWV and upgrade to the newer style sender

Last edited:

jeffy777

I picked up my "new" M998 the other day and have spent the past few days replacing every fluid and filter in the whole vehicle. After I pumped out the old diesel fuel and dropped the tank to clean it, I noticed that the wires on top of this part are broken and likely to fail in the future. I'd like to replace it. I know that it senses the fuel level of the tank, but it looks different from any HMMWV fuel sensor that I have found online.

Does anyone know where I can buy this replacement part or know of a comparable part? It's a 1987 6.5L in case that makes a difference.
First off welcome from another VA person. There is a good community of HMMWV people here. We have a facebook group you should join ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/253796061807650/ ) and we have a thread here on SS HMMWV.

I think you are saying this part : Kit, Fuel Level Sending Unit (New Style) which can be found at Kascar (real4wd.com) part no 5716625.

If you truly got a "NEW" M998 wow. Like to see some pictures. :)

Thanks
Jeff

Duster06

Thanks guys, and I just joined you FB group. I can't seem to upload picks on here. The unit that you recommended is what I see all over the place, but the one in my truck is skinnier and has an old cork float, which by the look of it is very old. I'm guessing it's just an old discontinued model and the new one will probably work as well. I already dropped the tank so I'd just have to insert it into the top st this point.

I've got my truck in Williamsburg VA right now. Where are you guys?

Action

Check the "sock" at the bottom of the suction tube in the tank to see if it is plugged up. Good time to clean or replace that too.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to fleebay and get the newer one.
Part number above

Duster06

Since the two plugs on the top of the fuel sensor are the same size, does it matter which end I plug them into when I connect the sensor to the truck?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks