• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Half Shaft Rebuild

TLambert

I have a 7,700# truck and the half shafts have the pressed ring to hold together the Rotor End Housing. Unit is in good working order but the Dust Boot tore. I have had no luck getting boot(s) 5705605/5705606 over the portal end even with an expander tool. Has anyone tried to get the 57K0274/57K0275 over using a tool?

Second question would be can you change out the housing to
PART NUMBER: 218-0007
NSN: 2520-01-485-1813

which has the hog ring to disassemble the housing?

thanks

Vapor Trail

From what I've seen the Chinese axles are more trouble than they're worth. People are getting 80 miles out of them and then you have to tear it all down again and put new ones in.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones I bought 3-4 years ago are doing fine, a couple of the ones I bought a year or so ago had defective boots that split along the mold seam.

These were replaced under warranty, but because I put my boots under more stress than most I rebuilt the replacements with factory boots and have had no more issues.

They can be torn down and the 10K boots fit.

I would think by now they have the defective ones out of circulation but make sure if you buy them get them from someone that will warranty them like Summit etc. rather than one of the popular auction sites.

They have a 5 star review on Summit.
3.7 on Amazon

Vapor Trail

I'm not saying everyone gets that miliage out of them but one guy on here did and the forums and Youtube are littered with examples of them lasting a few months or a few thousand miles.

TLambert

The ones I bought 3-4 years ago are doing fine, a couple of the ones I bought a year or so ago had defective boots that split along the mold seam.

These were replaced under warranty, but because I put my boots under more stress than most I rebuilt the replacements with factory boots and have had no more issues.

They can be torn down and the 10K boots fit.

I would think by now they have the defective ones out of circulation but make sure if you buy them get them from someone that will warranty them like Summit etc. rather than one of the popular auction sites.

They have a 5 star review on Summit.
3.7 on Amazon
I see them on RockAuto for $77 + shipping. I also ordered universal boots, will try the expander over the portal end. The stock 7700# boots (4 pleats) are thick and a no go. I also have the 10k boots which are thinner. I can get the entire 10k housing (Item 12 in the TM) for $125.

NOS are much more and likely the boots are cracking as well.

so weighing options. thanks for feedback

TLambert

10k axles... $75-$100 all day long,,, Autozone, Rock auto, Partsgeek..... just get some new ones.. My 2 cents... Aint worth the messing...
I may buy one as a JIC to have. This is the second axel in a year that the boot has torn. i don't mind the rebuild, its fairly quick, but the pressed retainer is a PITA.

Likely attack it from multiple angles. I can buy a Housing for $125 and add 2 boots and still less than NOS. but do that over beers and throw in the Aftermarket in the meantime.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW I have a 10K shaft from AMG that vibrates so spending $450 does not guarantee success ether.
I may buy one as a JIC to have. This is the second axel in a year that the boot has torn. i don't mind the rebuild, its fairly quick, but the pressed retainer is a PITA.

Likely attack it from multiple angles. I can buy a Housing for $125 and add 2 boots and still less than NOS. but do that over beers and throw in the Aftermarket in the meantime.
I doubt the 10K parts will interchange with the 7K parts, the 10K boots are also different than the 7K

TLambert

BTW I have a 10K shaft from AMG that vibrates so spending $450 does not guarantee success ether.

I doubt the 10K parts will interchange with the 7K parts, the 10K boots are also different than the 7K
7k are 0.94" | 3.5" (both ends)
10K are 1.1" | 3.6~3.75"

the strap clamp can make up some, but they are definitely different.
Summit and Rock have same MFG and PN.

I may see if the housing mentioned above will work to salvage my stock unit. worth a shot and i bought boots. i cannot see that they would change the splines (7k and 10k).

TLambert

Amazon just arrived with Universal Boots. They come with band clamps and grease. Can also get on Rock Auto and other. I bout a $70 Boot Expander. So for a $100~110 on the first go around. But i assume i have three more coming, worth while. I need to grease up and cinch up band clamps. will update. But to assemble, took under 10 minutes. Need to turn the Plunge boot inside out, but the thinner aftermarket boots wasn't an issue. I do wonder if the 10k boots would work, only size differential. would be concerned about water if forging.

Attachments

TLambert

Final Install with Universal Boots. I will say, the Universal Boot to Housing and Axle had more clearance than i would like. I was able to get the band clamps to have the boot "tight" to metal axle and housings. but if doing a lot of very dusty or water, could be an issue. i will also add the boot is close to the E Bracket Bracket. i will continue to monitor, but added photos. obviously worst case when on the lift and not in a ride height, but if someone is fully articulating, could be an issue

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do realize they expand at speed, especially the softer universal ones, no worry about water or dust, if there is any leakage at the large end all the grease will sling out and they will fry.

Reactions: cwc

TLambert

You do realize they expand at speed, especially the softer universal ones, no worry about water or dust, if there is any leakage at the large end all the grease will sling out and they will fry.
i am more concerned about the Rotor side having "extra" pleats and potentially "rolling over" the clamp. if so, the E Bracket will tear the boot.

For now, just wanted to pass along that the universal boots can be assembled. it is possible the funnel method would have worked, but the expander made it very easy.

I would like to disassemble and use the proper ones. and perhaps the aftermarket are fine. i do wonder if aftermarket have same boot to E Brake Bracket issue.

thanks