• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m998 hard steering/brakes

Maverick1701

m998 shooting PS fluid out fan

I went to drive our (Hall County Sheriffs Office) M998 this week to keep the batteries charged, parts lubricated etc. I found the the steering was very difficult, the brakes were super hard and the fan was slinging PS fluid EVERYWHERE.

I am thinking either the hose that connects the fan clutch area to the PS pump area went bad or maybe the hydroboost is acting up? or maybe a combo of the two? If it was just hard steering/brakes I Would think hydroboost but I obviously have a PS leak from somewhere that I need to address.

Thoughts?

Before you ask, YES I have downloaded several TMs.
I am going to look them over tonight, then tear into the truck in the morning if all goes as planned (and I dont get called out).

I will be sure to take pics...as we all know, pics or it didnt happen!

Last edited:

Maverick1701

Still no luck...think i might need a new fan clutch.
All hose connections are tight and secure

I snapped a video that ill try and upload tonight....the PS fluid is shooting out the front of the fan clutch like a super soaker...its pretty lolsome

Maverick1701

well updates...I was able to make a temporary fix (so if we have to drive it we can).

I removed the hose taht runs from the PS system on the drivers wheel well towards the radiator. I then picked up two plugs and plugged the holes. Everything works ps turns great, brakes are also GREAT but its only a temporary fix until I can find a fan clutch to replace.

jwaller

fan clutches are all over ebay. you can fix it without removing the entire rad stack but you better have small hands.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks