• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Heater quit working

sagreen83

Was using my heater today up until lunch. Was working great. Then came back from lunch and the heater blower no longer works on either Low or High. Anyone had this happen out of the blue? Blower didn't seem to be making any odd noises or anything.

Thanks!
Scott...

JoeJrTheBarber

The stock heaters in these trucks blow, I would say with your issue check fuses and work your way more into it.
This is exactly why I am in proccess of running a secondary heater on the back wall of my M998.
Heater.jpgHeater1.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did you have for lunch?

sagreen83

The stock heaters in these trucks blow, I would say with your issue check fuses and work your way more into it.
This is exactly why I am in proccess of running a secondary heater on the back wall of my M998.
That heater looks like its gonna work!

It doesn't seem like my heater blower is bad. I went out the next day, started the beast, and the heater worked. Turned it off and it quit again. Seems like it works the first time you start it each day, but quits after that.

Scott...

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did you have for lunch?
Probably cold cuts , no heat.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Probably need to head to the trouble shooting section of the TM's section 2-21

TM-9-2320-280-20-1.pdf
TM-9-2320-280-20-1 TECHNICAL MANUAL UNIT MAINTENANCE for M998 series. Part 1. Jan 1990

TM's for the M998 series

Attachments

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your voltmeter. Mine shows no charge when the heater fan won’t work. I flip the start box on and off until I hear the heater fan come on. I’m sure I have a relay sticking, but whatever feeds the fan seems to also feed the exciter on the charge circuit.

sagreen83

Check your voltmeter. Mine shows no charge when the heater fan won’t work. I flip the start box on and off until I hear the heater fan come on. I’m sure I have a relay sticking, but whatever feeds the fan seems to also feed the exciter on the charge circuit.
Thats an interesting idea! How do you flip the start box on and off? Just turn the key on and off?

Scott...

sagreen83

Finally got a chance to get a voltmeter on things. I had 24 volts on the fan wires so I was getting power. Just to check, I banged on the heater blower cover. Motor jumped to life :)

I ordered a new motor from ebay. Cheap fix.

Scott...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks