• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m998 hmmwv hissing noise

neos

1988 m998 hmmwv constant hissing noise on inside by brake petal. Brakes work fine. Checked power steering, brake fluid. All good. Tested Hydro boost seems to be working. No leaks on power steering either. Any ideas. Hissing noise driving me crazy. It was not there 2 days ago.
Thanks,
NEOS

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have the same problem but I don't know what a "Cadillac valve is or location? Please help Thanks in advance
Pop open the hood and look at the hyd lines at the firewall bulge. You'll see a solenoid there, it'll say "Cadillac" on it. That's the source of the noise.

Natron

Having same issue but what is the proper fix to this? Why does it happen and I'm sure AMG didn't build it to hiss and then get fixed by blocking some hole with rubber.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's the valve doing it's job. Sometimes the mount gets jiggered and the movement of the hydraulic fluid through the valve resonates on the mounting and body. Strictly speaking it's physics, not something to be "fixed'. Proper mounting and damping helps. If your valve is very noisy, even with some rubber (I just put some rolled up rubber bands under mine) then you can remove it and pull it apart carefully and clean it (mine looked spotless inside but did seem quieter once reassembled). I got mine back in and working, it is a straightforward solenoid valve, but be methodical and don't take to it with vise grips and a hammer is all. The surfaces of the cylinder and the piston are close tolerances to manage the fluid pressure, you don't want to scratch it up.
Bulldogger

teteacher101

I bought a 2" rubber plumbing coupler from the hardware store then cut it length ways with a utility knife so I could slide it over the valve with out having to take anything apart. I cut a couple of notches out for the hoses to slide into and I used hose clamps to hold it all in place. It took care of the hissing sound 100% and the mod looks factory. :)

Natron

Ok well here is my quandary. If it's normal then why don't all hmmwv's and H1's do it? If it's normal then why doesn't putting a piece of rubber under the part mess it up? Lastly, anywhere I look indicates this sound is from a faulty vacuum pump and that hissing isn't normal on other (non hmmwv) vehicles. I know I'm new here but my 1097a1 is doing this hissing as well and I'm a bit of a perfectionist to the point I want my vehicle to be like it's brand new (function wise) although it's a 2009.