• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m998 hmmwv hissing noise

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s a solenoid operated valve not a vacuum pump. One moving part inside. It gets pressure and fluid from the steering pump. I figure the reason why it hisses for some of us and not others is down to individual vehicle characteristics of fluid type, amount of use, age of components and so on.
Bulldogger

Action

Ok well here is my quandary. If it's normal then why don't all hmmwv's and H1's do it? If it's normal then why doesn't putting a piece of rubber under the part mess it up? Lastly, anywhere I look indicates this sound is from a faulty vacuum pump and that hissing isn't normal on other (non hmmwv) vehicles. I know I'm new here but my 1097a1 is doing this hissing as well and I'm a bit of a perfectionist to the point I want my vehicle to be like it's brand new (function wise) although it's a 2009.
Not to be a party pooper, but if you want to get your m1097a1 back to new specs, you should shoot for the early '90s, not 2009.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi.. I need the hose that goes from the cadillac valve to the radiator, any Idea where to buy it?
3/8" power steering return hose, purchased by the inch at your local auto parts store.
I buy Gates in 25' rolls online.