• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 HMMWV Off Road Uses

lonesouth

Just curious on this one. Since the DLA has mandated most M998 sales are off-road only, what are all the people who are buying them doing with them? GP has 3,400+ sales listed since December 2015.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wire Fox

Well, probably the best use under these terms is stripping them for parts to use for street-legal HMMWVs (late 90s auction; current M1123s) and Hummer H1s. I've seen some pictures and videos of people that have trailered their HMMWVs to off road parks to go have fun with. Lastly, lots of farm trucks. Honestly, being registered and actually being used as a farm truck is probably the best use available for these.

Ang2gna

I use mine for the farm and to help manage my wood lot. It's great at getting to places to haul the logs I cut for the winter. I have 200 acres so it's also an off-road truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awol

In the army I crashed one through a pretty heavy fence doing abt 50 driving black out with nvgs when I missed my turn. The hmmwv handled it like a champ.
Hahah, this cracked me up! :razz:

Jakob1944

I live in an army town and all the folks see day in and out are Humvee's........I know for a fact I could leave my drive way in the center of town and drive past Fort Hood up to I-35 (25) miles away......Turn around and come back and no one would turn a head.....All my neighbor kids ride their bicycle by my drive and don't even look at it.......Just a same-o-same-o army truck......

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can we stay on topic please. I hate when these threads go off on a tangent and get closed.

Wire Fox

Going back to topic....While it may not be the best truck for the job, what do you guys think of the HMMWV's potential to be an off-road recovery vehicle to aid other vehicles?

dk8019

We use ours for farm us in Virginia. We have 165 acres of hills basically, and it's a great substitute for a side by side or a four wheeler, and probably a bit safer. It sure can move more material around, which was why we bought it. We are clearing 30-50 acres of underbrush, and it hauls all the gear we need for a days worth of work and then some.

Wire Fox

We use ours for farm us in Virginia. We have 165 acres of hills basically, and it's a great substitute for a side by side or a four wheeler, and probably a bit safer. It sure can move more material around, which was why we bought it. We are clearing 30-50 acres of underbrush, and it hauls all the gear we need for a days worth of work and then some.
Have you put together any special brackets or straps for some of your usual gear, or do you just throw it all in the back? I'm fishing for some ideas on potential uses of mine...

Carrera911

These things are great for getting groceries, to being one of the most bad ass and capable off road vehicles made. Polaris razors are 12k plus. A jeep with locking riffs, 37 inch tires, lift etc... to even be close to as capable off road will be 10k plus in mods alone. I'd buy a H1 if they weren't so **** expensive that they're collector cars that I cant justify driving daily or off road and devalue such a rare vehicle. If you have a lot of land then it could be used off road only. But for me, it makes a great road vehicle and will be a lot of fun when the snow comes tomorrow.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe a HMMWV owner can tell me why I should sell my 2 CUCV's that are street legal, cheaper to purchase, maintain and operate and get me anywhere in the woods that I need to go? Other than emotional "Cool" factor I don't get it? Am I missing something?

Carrera911

Maybe a HMMWV owner can tell me why I should sell my 2 CUCV's that are street legal, cheaper to purchase, maintain and operate and get me anywhere in the woods that I need to go? Other than emotional "Cool" factor I don't get it? Am I missing something?
The CUCV is a great truck, but it isn't a HMMWV. These were made from the ground up as off road vehicles and as such have more ground clearance, bigger tires, locking diffs etc. The CUCV is a 24 volt diesel Blazer/ Silverado with a rear locking diff and a few other upgrades. They certainly have less maintenance and have longer wear life components than the HMMWV but also can't do as well off road. You shouldn't sell your CUCVs, you should buy a Humvee too.

dk8019

Have you put together any special brackets or straps for some of your usual gear, or do you just throw it all in the back? I'm fishing for some ideas on potential uses of mine...
Nothing specific, I need to get one of those dividers though that goes between the front and back. It's setup as a 4-man with the back cover. I put all the small stuff in the footwells in the back, and then tied the big stuff down.

Bobert

You said it, cool factor. What more justification do you need? Same reason you bought a cucv.

Don't sell, add to the fleet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks