• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 HMMWV - V Belt part numbers?

Waters

i did exactly that. but before i left i reread this thread and someone had posted them about a page back! oops.

checked out oreillys, the gates xl7640 seems to be correct like was stated here. however they didnt have any in stock, but can get 3 in a day or two.

the 7640 is a cogged belt, i suppose that is okay but i have no experience with them. im off to the internet to research it some before i order, but im not too worried.

i can also grab a set for $22 on popular auction sites but after opening 3 that were damaged from storage, i dont know that i want to get three more that might also be ruined military surplus.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you look at the top of the HMMWV forum in the stickey section there is a LEO-Part Number check list. If you would, please post the numbers you used there. It will help others looking. There a few civi part numbers in there others have used. It's helped me already.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i did exactly that. but before i left i reread this thread and someone had posted them about a page back! oops.

checked out oreillys, the gates xl7640 seems to be correct like was stated here. however they didnt have any in stock, but can get 3 in a day or two.

the 7640 is a cogged belt, i suppose that is okay but i have no experience with them. im off to the internet to research it some before i order, but im not too worried.

i can also grab a set for $22 on popular auction sites but after opening 3 that were damaged from storage, i dont know that i want to get three more that might also be ruined military surplus.
If you order three belts from an auto parts store they will NOT be matched even if the same brand etc., the best method I have found is to cross to a number that is stocked in a large chain and drive from one store to the next, write down every batch number/date code until you find three that match and then backtrack and get a matching set of three, royal PITA,
Otherwise get a matched set from a military dealer, I have also seen a set or two that was just too screwed up to work.

springer1981

If you order three belts from an auto parts store they will NOT be matched even if the same brand etc., the best method I have found is to cross to a number that is stocked in a large chain and drive from one store to the next, write down every batch number/date code until you find three that match and then backtrack and get a matching set of three, royal PITA,
Otherwise get a matched set from a military dealer, I have also seen a set or two that was just too screwed up to work.
Another 4.5 year old post reply LOL.

However I match my own belts. All a matched set are is equal length belt. My local store has a belt measuring tool. Belt manufacturing to can vary a little in both length and V thickness. So even if you have 2 belts that are exactly the same length if the V is slightly different they will measure different. I attached a picture of the belt measuring tool as an example. I've matched many belt in the past this way and never had a problem. My Lathe uses 3 drive belts for example. It is also how I did my HMMWV belts.

belttool.jpg

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So no one has thought to check the Parts Manual for the number?

Join me as we take a magical journey down the TM rabbit hole. ;-)

Lets see it is a M998 so the parts TM will be TM 9-2320-280-24P-1 (available in the TM forum for free)

Looking up belts in the index it shows Group 05 - 0505 - Fan assemblies and belts, Diagram 32

Going to diagram 32, yep that looks like it.

The belts are Item #2 and on page 32-1 it shows 2 parts numbers are used for different vehicles. 43-5791 and 5598213. Which one is correct?

The part numbers are tied to a UOC. What in the world is that? Maybe the the manual will tell us. Going back to the top of the manual you can search for UOC. Well what do you know. On page 5 it has an explanation of what UOC means and a table of all the different vehicles.

View attachment 595928

Seeing that a M998 is listed it has a UOC of H13.

Now back to the part numbers on page 32-1. The H13 uses belt #43-5791. Let's go with that.

Plugging that number into www.napaonline.com interchange does not show anything. Now what? I wonder if various part numbers where interchanged. Let's go see.

www.wbparts.com is a great website that shows the various interchangeable part numbers

http://www.wbparts.com/nsndetail.cfm?NIIN=003792815&pn=43-5791

12339359-15
15500 SET 2
7500 SET2
etc

Lets see if Napa can interchange any of these.

Using the first number it shows 2 belts that interchange, PBH 15500 and NBH 257500. Looks like we have a winner.

Also many of the other numbers listed interchange with the same Napa numbers.

So there you go. Hope you had a fun ride.

The belt number for a M998 is:

PBH 15500 or NBH 257500
Sorry for the delay, I've finally got back to pulling the belts off and taking them to O'reilley's for a match.

The Part numbers are listed below:
Brand: GATES
XL 7640 (13/32"x64 5/8" OC) - you need 3 of these
XL 7500 (13/32"x50 5/8" OC) - you need 1 (Power Steering Belt)

It's relatively easy to change the 3 belts, it took a little bit longer to change the Power Steering belt as there is a bolt on the back side of the Power Steering pump that must loosen to allow the belt tension to be adjusted.

Thanks Warthog for the info.
Not to hijack this older thread, but one of the last maintenance items on my M998 I got last year was to to replace all the belts and I just started experiencing belt squeal after repairing the AC on my 92 M998, with 6.2 and generator. Mainly the AC belt, but I figured I would confirm the part numbers as stated above for anyone that needs the stock belts for a M998 in the future.

Fortunately, I could read the belt number for the aftermarket AC belt, which was a Gates 7545. The others for the generator and power steering were Gates 7500 and 7640 as mentioned above.

I did find that Rock Auto was very reasonable for the stock belts, less than half of NAPA, AutoZone, Advanced, and no comparison to the Humvee vendors with their HUMVEE tax! Rock Auto probably has your choice of your favorate belt manufacturer, as they have Gates, Dayco and many other to choose from. All four belts were $64 shipped to my door.

The other thing I wanted to do since know I will be sacrificing the skin on my hands is I am going to install one of those "FAN CLUTCH QUICK DISCONNECT FITTING SET" and a new hose since the hose looked kind of really looked like it was original and going to go at some point soon anyway.

I also ordered a big box of bandages as I can see getting that out is not going to be fun at all and I expect major blood loss. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to hijack this older thread, but one of the last maintenance items on my M998 I got last year was to to replace all the belts and I just started experiencing belt squeal after repairing the AC on my 92 M998, with 6.2 and generator. Mainly the AC belt, but I figured I would confirm the part numbers as stated above for anyone that needs the stock belts for a M998 in the future.

Fortunately, I could read the belt number for the aftermarket AC belt, which was a Gates 7545. The others for the generator and power steering were Gates 7500 and 7640 as mentioned above.

I did find that Rock Auto was very reasonable for the stock belts, less than half of NAPA, AutoZone, Advanced, and no comparison to the Humvee vendors with their HUMVEE tax! Rock Auto probably has your choice of your favorate belt manufacturer, as they have Gates, Dayco and many other to choose from. All four belts were $64 shipped to my door.

The other thing I wanted to do since know I will be sacrificing the skin on my hands is I am going to install one of those "FAN CLUTCH QUICK DISCONNECT FITTING SET" and a new hose since the hose looked kind of really looked like it was original and going to go at some point soon anyway.

I also ordered a big box of bandages as I can see getting that out is not going to be fun at all and I expect major blood loss. :eek:

You need matched belts for the alternator, the only way to get them is to buy a matched set and pay the HUMVEE tax, you can get close if you hand pick the belts from the same manufacturer with the SAME build date code.
Considering how much trouble they are to change I am surprised you want to go the cheapest route.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i was looking for numbers i can use in the store sorry i wasnt more clear :)
I could be nice and just give you the belt part numbers for in a store, but I don't actually know which store you want to use, and different numbers cross to different things in different websites, so I'm going to go through the process of how to find the part number you need yourself.

As for numbers in a store, take the NSN from the parts manual and enter it into a website like Parttarget.com
That will give you every supplier for that NSN and that company's part number. In this case there are multiple suppliers and multiple part numbers.

download (54).jpg

Take any of those part numbers and enter them into your local auto parts store's website and see what shows up. Some part numbers are military specific and won't cross to anything, others are generic such as the 15651 and the 15645 numbers above.
Sometimes though the part number crosses to things it isn't, such as on NAPA's website it shows 15645 crosses to both a 41" long belt as well as a 64 3/4" belt.
Looking above we see that the belt is supposed to be a 3/8" by 64.5" belt, so the longer one is a good cross.

As for why the part number in the book is for a set of 3 belts and not for an individual one, it's because it's important that the belts are a matched set.

I can take the part number into a store, and 3 identical looking belts on the shelf from the same manufacturer can measure out to 3 different sizes. Different material lots, different manufacturing processes, different material suppliers, production machine calibration differences, and other reasons can lead to different belt lengths and wear characteristics.

If you do buy the belt locally, you will want to specify that you need matched belts from the same manufacturing batch in order to get belts as close to identical as possible. This is important, otherwise you will have belts that are not properly tensioned and unable to be tensioned, as you will always have ones that are too tight or too loose if one is tensioned properly. This leads to increased wear and tear, and loss of power transfer through the belts. It has 3 belts for a reason.

TOM R

I could be nice and just give you the belt part numbers for in a store, but I don't actually know which store you want to use, and different numbers cross to different things in different websites, so I'm going to go through the process of how to find the part number you need yourself.

As for numbers in a store, take the NSN from the parts manual and enter it into a website like Parttarget.com
That will give you every supplier for that NSN and that company's part number. In this case there are multiple suppliers and multiple part numbers.

View attachment 897560

Take any of those part numbers and enter them into your local auto parts store's website and see what shows up. Some part numbers are military specific and won't cross to anything, others are generic such as the 15651 and the 15645 numbers above.
Sometimes though the part number crosses to things it isn't, such as on NAPA's website it shows 15645 crosses to both a 41" long belt as well as a 64 3/4" belt.
Looking above we see that the belt is supposed to be a 3/8" by 64.5" belt, so the longer one is a good cross.

As for why the part number in the book is for a set of 3 belts and not for an individual one, it's because it's important that the belts are a matched set.

I can take the part number into a store, and 3 identical looking belts on the shelf from the same manufacturer can measure out to 3 different sizes. Different material lots, different manufacturing processes, different material suppliers, production machine calibration differences, and other reasons can lead to different belt lengths and wear characteristics.

If you do buy the belt locally, you will want to specify that you need matched belts from the same manufacturing batch in order to get belts as close to identical as possible. This is important, otherwise you will have belts that are not properly tensioned and unable to be tensioned, as you will always have ones that are too tight or too loose if one is tensioned properly. This leads to increased wear and tear, and loss of power transfer through the belts. It has 3 belts for a reason.

THANKS

TOM R

so after all that i went on the auction site got all 4 belts new for $33 shipped? , i cant beat that price at napa the -18 are a matched set of 3 and then the -14 , the numbers are still good to have though for emergency needs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks