• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Horn current draw

NVAM998

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the pathetic beep beep horn. Looks like it draws maybe 100 mA. I want to replace it with a consumer two tone but they draw maybe 3.5 A. Not worried about the wiring but maybe it's too much for the button? Thinking about installing a relay but is that overkill? Anyone done this on an M998?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am running a good set of dual horns on my DuraVee and they are 12V so they would pull more amps than a 24V set and I have not had any issues in 3 years.
I use them extensively every time I run the aprox 1/4 mile from the gate to the house to call ol Diggy Dog.
But horns are nasty beasts so you should shunt the horns with diodes to kill the reverse EMF, your PCB and on board radio equipment will thank you, this also greatly reduces the arcing of the horn switch contacts.

Last edited:

Coonass77

If you can find an old cop car take-out, a Whelen or Federal Signal siren has an air horn with two 100 watt outputs. Very loud and gets attention. Then you can save the horn button on the steering wheel for when your honking needs to be more civilized.
Along similar lines... I installed this one in addition to the anemic stock horn. Plenty loud and definitely gets some attention.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Along similar lines... I installed this one in addition to the anemic stock horn. Plenty loud and definitely gets some attention.

Yes, very nice unit and decent price. It also avoids the legalities of having a siren unit in your vehicle (illegal in WA but I lockwired the selector switch to only allow air horn, and hoping that's good enough).

One advantage for the Whelen and Federal Signal units in they offer two 100 watt outputs to run two speakers, and the siren tones are there if you want to make noise during a parade. I used to see them on ebay and craigslist all the time, and selling for $40 - $50; speakers for $20 to $30. Supply of take-out stuff seems to be dried up currently.

EDIT to add: SpeedTech has this unit at 100 watts with PA for $80
and this 200 watt unit with siren at $180

I have their version of the Whelen Rumbler in the garage waiting to install.

1705608753424.png

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks