• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 how to replace horn button wire in steering column for aftermarket steering whee

Lazboytt

Hello

I just replaced the steering wheel with an aftermarket steering wheel and would like to connect the horn wire. Does anyone know how to remove the horn wire from the steering column so that I can connect a solid wire to the new horn button? Or does anyone have any other ideas on how to connect the horn wire on an aftermarket steering wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Run a new wire from the new horn button to the horn relay and the other wire on the new horn button to ground.

Lazboytt

Do you know how to remove old wire from the middle of the steering column? That is what I was thinking remove that wire and put a solid wire up to the horn button but I am not sure how you remove that wire from the center of the shaft.

Lazboytt

Does the wire just pull up from the top side? Because right now the horn button pushes into the shaft where it touches the wire.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not many of us bling the HMMWV's out .
Why can't you use the existing wire. Can't you add on to it ?
He wants to pull the wire out of the column , I'm guess he wants to use something like this.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-conduct-tite-electrical-switches-specialty-horn-button-flush-mount-ac85929-85929/5470854-P?searchTerm=horn+buttons

Technical Manuals for the HMMWV can be downloaded for free here;
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?78861-TM-s-for-the-M998-series

Last edited:

Lazboytt

Hello
If anyone needs to know all you do is pull out the spring and then you can pull up the rubber with the wire attached. I used a wood screw and lightly screwed it in to pull up the rubber with the wire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks