• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 / Niehoff 200 amp Alternator rebuild kits?

Humpty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an open field coil in in my Niehoff N1211-2 alternator.. I'm not having any luck finding a rebuild kit or rebuild parts for this. Anyone been down this road and can point me in the right direction, that would be fantastic.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tried contacting Niehoff directly?

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

Humpty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tried contacting Niehoff directly?

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk
Not as of yet, beyond looking at their website to see if they sold parts but I didn’t see any. I’ll shoot them an email but thought surely somebody else has rebuilt one of these things and might be able to point me in the right direction.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Typically the units rarely fail. Regulators go bad and are out there.
You need to download the alt spec sheet by part number. Sometimes they have the parts breakdown.
There are niehoff approved dealers and they would probably be the ones who could order.

Humpty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Typically the units rarely fail. Regulators go bad and are out there.
You need to download the alt spec sheet by part number. Sometimes they have the parts breakdown.
There are niehoff approved dealers and they would probably be the ones who could order.
Well that's what I'd read prior to buying this.. that it was far more common for the regulator to STB. Unfortunately when I meter between socket A on the alternator to regulator harness plug and the B+ I show no resistance (should have 1.8 to 2.2 ohms) and jumpering socket A to the B- on the alternator should energize the coil and it does not further confirming an open field coil... or.. perhaps a damaged alternator to regulator harness.. but given a visual inspection that's not very likely.

I'll see if I can hunt down an alternate spec sheet from their website. I sent them a message via their support website so.. fingers crossed. :)

Humpty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So follow up on this in case anyone else ends up with this question.

I spoke with one of Niehoff's authorized dealers who told me that Niehoff *will* sell you the parts to rebuild the alternator, but the coil, stator, all that is in one unit.. and it costs $2k. It's actually cheaper to bag a rebuilt unit online ($1250 to $1500) than it is to buy the parts to rebuild the alternator.. which seems suspect since the rebuild guys are getting parts somewhere.. unless they aren't really rebuilding anything beyond new bearings. He also told me that its not uncommon for the wiring from the harness to the coil to break, or for a bit of crap to get in the alternator and nick the coil winding and that ends up corroding and eventually breaking. His advice was to crack it open and maybe get lucky and just be able to unwind a turn or two of winding and re-epoxy.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps crack open a McMaster catalog. I have a friend on the Hummer Network website who does that and he seems to be able to pull rabbits out of hats.

I’m not saying bearings and such will be there BUT it might be worth a shot.

Re.: coils and stators… my dad was a PE who designed and built and rebuilt transformers and such. If you have time and patience you can test and rewind coils and stators, but given that Copper has become a semiprecious metal, it won’t be cheap. You then need to pot everything in special epoxy and then bake the epoxy. I warn you, this path is frustratingly slow and difficult, and when you make mistakes they are unforgiving and take you back to ground zero.

I believe RWH knows people who convert to 24 Volt GM alternators. At least I believe he mentioned that to me. Those would be easier to rebuild and cheaper to purchase BUT you need custom brackets. How good are you at dabbing things up?

HummerH1, Eric knows how to convert to 12 Volt and has done it himself. Ask him how and then use the same brackets for 12 or 24 Volt units.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks