• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 No wait to start light or glow plug function.

RedOctober

I'm slowly working on getting my new 93 M998 ready for my move to York, PA. Currently my truck has no wait to start light that comes on and has no glow plug firing. It does have the KDS smart start box. My question is where do I start to solve this problem? How do I check the box itself and the plugs for function before I go and buy a new box.

thanks

charlietango

I'm slowly working on getting my new 93 M998 ready for my move to York, PA. Currently my truck has no wait to start light that comes on and has no glow plug firing. It does have the KDS smart start box. My question is where do I start to solve this problem? How do I check the box itself and the plugs for function before I go and buy a new box.

thanks
Do a search for this exact thing and you’ll find many threads to read. In the manuals section is a troubleshooting guide that directs you exactly what pins to test and how to test the glow plugs. If you didn’t do the ground modification you’ll need to do that as well before doing any of these steps. There’s also a sticky thread in the hmmwv part of the forum that lists all of this. Retiredwarhorses has posted it in several follow up threads so I’d say search and read it all.

Possible problems is bad ground which caused a bad box which caused bad temp sensor which caused bad glow-plugs. Could be one, could be all. One thing to note is never unplug anything without first taking the ground off the batteries. That in itself can fry the box.

Last edited:

Dock Rocker

He is right on the money. Build / buy a grounding harness and install it before you do any troubleshooting. There is an outside chance that the harness will fix everything. The flip side is that if you don’t install the harness you could burn up every part you replace as you are troubleshooting the problem. That can get really expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks