• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 payload questions

kadrit

Hello everyone

I have recently been looking in to picking up an m998. I did my research on everything and have run in to a small bit of information that I cannot determine. I noticed that there is a 2500 pound payload limit on the standard m998. What I cannot figure out is if that payload limit pertains to the bare minimum set up or if it pertains to configurations up to the full slantback set up. My plans are to make it a for seat configuration with the Israeli Hamer Siyur set up with the roll cage type body. If I went with that style would I still be limited to the 2500 pound limit?

Thanks,
Kadrit

kadrit

Ah alright. So no matter what I would be limited to the 7700 GVWR of the m998 if I were to go with that option. Also would there be any way to increase the gvwr without too much added work?

In my opinion there is no way to increase the gvwr without too much work.

Start with taking off the tires. Not much work there but you should update to 24 body rims with the appropriate rubber to increase load capacity. Feltz tire in WI can help with that as they are very knowlegeable. Leave the tires off for now.

Next is the CV shafts. Switch to the 12K ones. That's 4 new shafts, 4 new spur gears and appropriate shims for in the geared hubs. I've only researched and not done so I'm not sure how long it would take.

Then comes doing the parking brake upgrade if the MWO has not been performed. Being you plan on loading this thing up with cargo, I'd say the mandatory thing to do of all of these is install an aftermarket brake upgrade. Nothing like 3 tons going down a slope with a load and not being able to stop. There are some H1 upgrades out there and I'm not sure what the cost or effort is to put them in but I'm feeling it will cost over 25% of what you pay for a GP HMMWV based on reading the various forums.

Then there is handling and load bearing work to be done. The TM's list a variety of parts for shocks and springs. I'm not sure if any other suspension parts need to be changed for heavier springs. But the TM will show what is available. Shocks look easy, the springs may be more time consuming. There are heavier duty shocks and springs listed in the 9-2320-280-24P-1 in figures 192 and 193.

Once that's done you should be able to put the tires back on.

There may be more to do with the diffs, and if I were doing that much work I'd also plan on upgrading the T-case, transmission and power plant to the 6.5 turbo to make sure the load can get moved around. But I'm not versed on the different differentials or options for the transfer case/transmission. I'll let someone else chime in on that portion of the drivetrain.

Lyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks