• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 power steering hose leak

Duff ace

I recently got my Humvee back from the shop to fix a power steering leak. However the next day I had a hose (one on the bottom of the two, right side, in the attached pic) develop a 1 inch cut in it.

Also the small blue cap was off of the brass push to open part (don’t know what that is). Was that supposed to be on?

Any chance I can get by with some blue monster tape on the cut hose until I get it back to the shop?
IMG_4627.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read the TM. It is easy. Just one long hose held on each end with a hose clamp.

No, blue tape will not help withstand the many hundreds of PSI power steering fluid.

Duff ace

Read the TM. It is easy. Just one long hose held on each end with a hose clamp.

No, blue tape will not help withstand the many hundreds of PSI power steering fluid.
TM -> the manual?

I’ll check it out in the morning to see if I can see the other end. I can see the cut and access that very easy

So you’re saying this won’t work!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I answered your question already.

You need to read up on all things motor vehicle IMHO

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
if you'er not running a military fleet maintenance program, sending out oil samples... IMO it's just another place to leak & something else to go wrong.

I had tee's, elbows and hoses looking like the Titanic boiler room. Plugged them off. Really.... who uses all those test connections ?

Also, I ditched the rusty goofy heater tubing and molded elbow for a little extra length of high temp silicone hose to make the connections. old school style. Saved on four clamps too.

Penny-pincher and made more sense 💰 to me. YRMV, CAMO

PLUGS to use ? download.jpgimagesplug.jpg Heater tubing download (1).jpg s-l500.jpg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
have the mechanic remove the sample fluid valve port and install a hex plug, you also have one most likely on the opposite side for transmission sample, these are needed anymore.
The hose in question is on the low pressure side, but I doubt you can wrap it with anything because ATF can get through anything. The hose is 3/8 power steering return hose, available at any auto store, never reuse hose clamps.
The hose either goes to the steering gear or the cadillac valve.
You could go to the store and buy a barbed 3/8 connector, cut the part off that has the defect and splice the 2 ends together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks