• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Restoration

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello everyone. I wanted to introduce myself and post up this build/restoration.

I wanted to say I have really enjoyed this forum. It seems like a great community of people. I've learned a lot already and am eager to learn more and contribute if I can.

Like a lot of you I am a mechanic hobbyist and really enjoy offroad trucks. I'm an orthopaedic surgeon by trade so I'm good with my hands LOL. I almost enjoy working on cars/trucks more than people.

Currently have ....... 95 Land Rover Defender 90 converted to 2.8 turbodiesel, 89 FJ62 converted to manual, 98 Jeep XJ (no mods), 17 G wagon (no mods). Previously had ....... Icon CJ3b and FJ40, 05 Land Rover Defender 110, and 82 G wagon 300GDT. And now this M998.

I've always been interested/obsessed with the hmmwv. I was introduced to it through the civilian hummers. For me 'less is more', and I value simplicity and reliability over 'comfort'. So the pinnacle for me is the M998 or it's later versions.

So I started doing my research like I've done on my other projects. I can title it in Wisconsin so that was a huge 'win' as WI is very hmmwv friendly and you can title/register them for street use. Unlike the communist and fascist state of IL ...... more rants on IL later.

I toyed with idea of doing entire project myself, ie getting it from gov auction, etc. But after reading how long and tedious it can be I decided not to.

I also toyed with idea of getting it though a 'builder', ie someone who has the truck and then restores to order. But remarkably I could not get anyone on the phone/email reliably enough to go this route. Honestly amazing and make me wonder if there is a market for another builder. Either these guys are too busy, disinterested, or incompetent, or a combination.

While doing my research I found a lead on a truck that was essentially almost done. Just needed a little more addons but bulk of major work was done. This is what I will posting up on here.

I encourage everyone to be as complimentary or critical as you like. I learn through abuse and punishment so I welcome it LOL.

Thanks again to everyone here.

JO302

Hello everyone. I wanted to introduce myself and post up this build/restoration.

I wanted to say I have really enjoyed this forum. It seems like a great community of people. I've learned a lot already and am eager to learn more and contribute if I can.

Like a lot of you I am a mechanic hobbyist and really enjoy offroad trucks. I'm an orthopaedic surgeon by trade so I'm good with my hands LOL. I almost enjoy working on cars/trucks more than people.

Currently have ....... 95 Land Rover Defender 90 converted to 2.8 turbodiesel, 89 FJ62 converted to manual, 98 Jeep XJ (no mods), 17 G wagon (no mods). Previously had ....... Icon CJ3b and FJ40, 05 Land Rover Defender 110, and 82 G wagon 300GDT. And now this M998.

I've always been interested/obsessed with the hmmwv. I was introduced to it through the civilian hummers. For me 'less is more', and I value simplicity and reliability over 'comfort'. So the pinnacle for me is the M998 or it's later versions.

So I started doing my research like I've done on my other projects. I can title it in Wisconsin so that was a huge 'win' as WI is very hmmwv friendly and you can title/register them for street use. Unlike the communist and fascist state of IL ...... more rants on IL later.

I toyed with idea of doing entire project myself, ie getting it from gov auction, etc. But after reading how long and tedious it can be I decided not to.

I also toyed with idea of getting it though a 'builder', ie someone who has the truck and then restores to order. But remarkably I could not get anyone on the phone/email reliably enough to go this route. Honestly amazing and make me wonder if there is a market for another builder. Either these guys are too busy, disinterested, or incompetent, or a combination.

While doing my research I found a lead on a truck that was essentially almost done. Just needed a little more addons but bulk of major work was done. This is what I will posting up on here.

I encourage everyone to be as complimentary or critical as you like. I learn through abuse and punishment so I welcome it LOL.

Thanks again to everyone here.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on being a humvee owner! I’m new myself and still waiting for mine to be ready from Eastern Surplus. I’ve been stocking up on parts and ready to dive in when I get it.

Being a surgeon I suspect you will like this project. From all the research I’ve done these vehicles are easier to work on than others and have some unique engineering elements you won’t see on other off-road vehicles.

As you’ve probably seen on this forum - there are those that know everything and just tell you to search/read the TSMs and others that will guide you in the right direction. Great group of folks here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Action

I am not a fan of living in one state and registering a vehicle in another state. Although this seems to be a common thing on this forum.

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not a fan of living in one state and registering a vehicle in another state. Although this seems to be a common thing on this forum.
Just to be clear. I'm blessed to have property in both states and this truck is going to be at that property primarily. I have one of my other trucks there as well.

I understand there may be 'loopholes' that allow people to register in other states or use LLC's, etc.

That is not the case here. Fully legal and ethical.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. What many have done with excellent results is to purchase a GovPlanet truck at Yermo, then contract with RetiredWarhorses in the Bay Area to fix it to your specifications. Then have it transported to your AO for you to add your own custom touches whatever they might be.

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greg H in Opelika, AL gets all the credit for this build. He has done several of these and has another one in the works. He is not on this forum 'yet' although I've encouraged him to join. He is a great guy. He is VERY much an "OEM guy". He likes to keep things simple for reliability.

1994 M998 Chassis/Body - Sudan Brown

2004 A2 Drivetrain under 2k miles - 6.5 GEP NA with 4L80
- BMI Turbo (getting added see separate thread)
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/m998-turbo-upgrade-bmi-commander™-6500-turbo-kit.203156/
- USShift Controller
- diffs/gears from 94 truck - taller gearing 2.56

Winch - Milemarker Hydraulic

Doors - Federal Military Parts

AC - Restomodair

Attachments

Last edited:

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. What many have done with excellent results is to purchase a GovPlanet truck at Yermo, then contract with RetiredWarhorses in the Bay Area to fix it to your specifications. Then have it transported to your AO for you to add your own custom touches whatever they might be.
Agree. I wouldn't hesitate to do that from what I've learned and seen regarding the work RetiredWarhorses puts out.

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
new style exhaust pipe?
I'll start looking but what should it look like? Looks like short piece from the hanger?

I was thinking of getting fording kit including exhaust stack .... but wanted to wait for the turbo kit to be added in case exhaust routed differently.

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll start looking but what should it look like? Looks like short piece from the hanger?

I was thinking of getting fording kit including exhaust stack .... but wanted to wait for the turbo kit to be added in case exhaust routed differently.
Looks like this is the OEM.......some type of heat shield and bevel cut at end.

Attachments

Action

On factory trucks, the exhaust is in the same place. The turbo models get a shorter muffler and a catalytic converter.
If you add the tall intake and exhaust, that is not the fording kit. There are many parts needed to properly hit the deep water.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm didn't you say something about "OEM guy", we are seeing muffler shop exhaust and wretched bedliner.

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On factory trucks, the exhaust is in the same place. The turbo models get a shorter muffler and a catalytic converter.
If you add the tall intake and exhaust, that is not the fording kit. There are many parts needed to properly hit the deep water.
I understand the fording kit isn't just extending intake/exhaust. I've seen the kits (CDR valves, etc) and discussion.

Deep Water FORDING KIT M998 HMMWV Humvee Military Truck GREEN 5705693 | eBay

I guess I don't understand what parts are 'muffler shop'. Looks like the headers/cross pieces/muffler is all correct. The tailpipe looks different.

Is that the part?

Last edited:

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm didn't you say something about "OEM guy", we are seeing muffler shop exhaust and wretched bedliner.
I usually don't like or recommend bedliner especially over anything that may rust, ie frame/steel panels. It can be a sign of hiding rust or difficult to tell if there is corrosion. On aluminum I tend too like it. I've used it on some of the land rover defenders. Helps a little with sound and heat although very little.

I think it works well in higher wear areas like the bed and even interior parts. I'm neutral to positive about it.

The part I would likely remove/redo is the outside of the rear bed gate/door.

I get it that some people have strong feeling about it and understand.

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got the parts too convert to hardtop. Very heavy and thick aluminum. Was fortunately about 4 hours away and was able to trailer.

Only part I don't have is the glass. Can't find it as an original part.

Where do you get this glass?

Attachments

Action

I've got the parts too convert to hardtop. Very heavy and thick aluminum. Was fortunately about 4 hours away and was able to trailer.

Only part I don't have is the glass. Can't find it as an original part.

Where do you get this glass?
AM General puts a piece of metal over that hole. You can probably just buy some weatherstrip and have a glass company cut you a piece.
I guess someone figured out the body side hinges were all on backwards. And, you may be able to paint over the gold zinc bolts.

1621744053696.png

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AM General puts a piece of metal over that hole. You can probably just buy some weatherstrip and have a glass company cut you a piece.
I guess someone figured out the body side hinges were all on backwards. And, you may be able to paint over the gold zinc bolts.
Originally was outfitted for soft doors. Now has hard doors. I'm assuming the hinges are different? Or are they?

Makes sense now why I couldn't find glass.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks