• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 shift lever button will not depress

signsup

Picked up two M998s at a recent auction, one runner and one parts. Installed new batteries today and fired the runner right up and it sounds great. Trans in neutral and when I went to put it in gear, the shift lever button is up and out but will not depress. Put some WD40 on it and tapped lightly with wax hammer while trying to move the lever forward and backward and nothing. Is it all up top related and just keep soaking and tapping? Or is there something I can access under the tub to try to free up the button and move the shift lever?
I'll hang up and listen.
1994 M998 6.2 3 speed auto.Sneed 1.JPG

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3-speed shift button unscrews.. as does the handle. But if you don't see anything obviously there, then pull linkage off the shifter (under the truck) and verify it moves.. if it does, then it's pretty easy to pull the shift assembly out and take it apart and oil it all.

signsup

Got it with a little persuasion from the top, haven't been underneath it yet, some hitchhikers with stingers are still lurking about. But, when we shift, the four wheel lever also wants to move with it, so need to sort that out. Going to tent the truck today with some bug bombs and retake possession of it. Just pleasantly surprised that a "ran when parked" auction vehicle actually starts and drives after just installing batteries. Smart Start works and everything, all lights and horn. Came as two man and I've got the pieces to install a four man soft top, rear curtain, rails, bows and soft doors, so looking forward to getting it parade ready before Nov. 11 events.
Thanks for the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks