• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 soft doors - repair or replace?

Mario

I have green camo setup.
2 out of 4 doors need window replaced/repaired.
All 4 doors need zipper stitching repaired.

I'm getting local quotes of 1 to 1.5 hours per door (@ $75/hr) just for stitching and they're not really sure if the neck of sawing machine can even go over the 'frame'/gasket of the door.
Window (plastic) repairs are even more time/money and would not be as good as original.

Should I just hold out and wait for someone to have NOS of a complete set?
I'm looking at few sites that have tan, brand new soft doors and they're going for less than the repairs would cost me.

Anyone have any sources that I haven't seen for a set of 4 NOS soft doors in camo color? I don't care if they come with mounting/door hardware as I can reuse what I have.

TIA,
Mario

Last edited:

infidel got me

My local boat/canvass guy stitched all 4 of mine for$100. I did have to remove rivits on upper weatherstrip so it would fit under sewing machine head. I just had to rivet weatherstrip back on when he was done. With the price they gave you, new doors may be the way to go.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I laso had mine re-stiched for $100.00, they did not even take the doors apart, he's got the sewing machine set up on a big table, so he just works around it.

Mario

Then it maybe my backwards state :-(
I'll keep calling/searching.

I called awning places thinking that they would have deep throat machines when stitching around tubular support.
I also reached out to furniture upholstery shops (car seats, couches, etc.).
Everyone charges $75/hr and everyone told me 1 hour per door and 1.5 Hrs for door and window replacement.

Estimate came to $461.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a called place where they do Jeep windows and tops.
Maybe Google Jeep door repairs or something like that

Mario

I had a called place where they do Jeep windows and tops.
Maybe Google Jeep door repairs or something like that
Thanks.
I Googled it just now for Albuquerque, but came up with nothing.
I will call 2 jeep accessory shops we have in town and ask if they know of someone.
I'll also call RV and boat places and see if that helps out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd buy new and that's what I did. Breton Industries. Be prepared for a wait though. They service military first. They even come with a new strap. Worth the $200 per door shipped IMO.

ryanruck

My doors were not in great shape when I got my truck but, with a little work, you'd be surprised at how you can resurrect them.

Most of the windows had broken stitching as well as some of the skin edges where they wrap around the frame, the windows were hazy, and the color was dingy and poor.

If you don't mind the time investment, you can restitch all parts that need it on the door with a quick stitch awl from Harbor Freight that costs $6 (or Amazon if you don't have a HF nearby). How long it takes on each will depend on how much of the door needs repaired. That awl comes with a big spool (enough to do all 4 doors regardless of condition) of polyester thread. I did mine over the course of several evenings while just sitting and watching TV. I had never used a quick stitch but found some YouTube videos on how and am pretty pleased with how they turned out.

For the windows themselves, I got some Meguiars PlastX. That removed all of the haze and grime embedded in the window. The only thing left on them was some light scratching from where they were getting tucked behind the cross bar when open. Only did one treatment and they are still clear almost a year later. Could probably stand to do a refresher.

To fix the coloring, I first scrubbed them thoroughly with a bristle brush with OxyClean and Dawn to get rid of the black mold/mildew all over them. Eventually repainted them with latex Behr Marquee exterior paint (Green 383 color). I also took the hinges off and repainted them with Rapco Green 383 and the took the handles off and repainted them with Rustoleum camo black.

Door cleaned and restitched, before painting:

IMG_1619_zpslvllr4wd.jpg IMG_1621_zpsgufzakah.jpg IMG_1622_zpsaygezhou.jpg

Doors after painting:

IMG_2001_zpsatsm1wan.jpg

Breton Industries is definitely the way to go if your doors are beyond salvage but, that said, I'm only out $60-$70 (if you include the full cost of the Behr paint that I also used on my top) and my time, and my doors look great.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also used Mcguires with excellent results. If your windows aren't cracked or broken, I'd give it a try. If the zippers are torn out, but intact, they can be restitched with a glovers needle, outdoor thread and some patience. I did mine. Many would have thrown away my doors, but they look just fine now.
If the window plastic is truly shot, most good fabric stores sell marine 2-3mm vinyl. That would work well enough.
If you decide to have them professionally restitched, I agree that it can be done cheaper than the quote you got. Try a small boat cover store, bring beer presents, and drive the HMMVW there if you can. The novelty factor should push it to reasonable rates for repair. Let them take pictures to post with the inevitable Facebook page or bulletin board "Examples of our work".
Bulldogger

DanM7890

I had some doors that needed repaired. I took them to a canvas place and I had two versions, stitched and glued. He said the glued versions he would have to cut it completely off and take out the rivets and the labor and material would be more than a new door. I ended up just buying two new doors to replace them.

Wire Fox

Seems like self-repair is the way to go... There's that HMMWV Quick Reference Guide that was relatively recently added to the TM section that details all the materials and the process needed to replace the soft door windows...it even has a template for if you need to make a brand new window from Vinyl. For the record, the NSN for the raw vinyl material is basically pointing you toward buying a 40 gauge clear vinyl, double polished, with UV resistance. You can look up the NSN in that guide and check it against parttarget if you want to be sure the vinyl you're buying matches the spec.

Mario

Thanks all for the great responses and ideas.
I will buy the HF awl and try few small repairs.
Driver door has cracked window so that one will be easier to just replace.

Passenger is hazed over and has the frame marks (from when it's folded down). I'm ordering Meguiar's G12310 PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish - 10 oz. from Amazon for less than 7 bucks.

One of the back doors needs full restitching -- that one will be good practice for my new HF awl.
Last door is in great shape except for 1 small, 4-5in spot where stitching tore. That one would be an excellent candidate for little preventive maintenance.

Over the next few weeks I will be watching surplus stores, eBay and classified here for any deals on new doors.
I don't want to buy used since every single one of them has the stitching problem.
Seems like an oversight on OEM's part where is stitches are coming off. Maybe gluing the windows and fabric would have been a better, long-term solution.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mario

I wanted to update you that the suggested fixes worked great.
I would still like to find a reasonable source for at least 2 front doors, but what we did so far to patch the broken stitching seems to hold up.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, after reading about the Meguiar's PlastX , I fired up the Humvee and went and got a bottle, this stuff is great, I tried with a rag but quickly used my 3' polisher.
I spent about 10 mins per window, I did the insides and out
I took before and after pics, nearly every mark came off, I have to give this stuff [thumbzup]
IMG_1597.jpgIMG_1601.jpgIMG_1602.jpg

ryanruck

Well, after reading about the Meguiar's PlastX , I fired up the Humvee and went and got a bottle, this stuff is great, I tried with a rag but quickly used my 3' polisher.
I spent about 10 mins per window, I did the insides and out
I took before and after pics, nearly every mark came off, I have to give this stuff [thumbzup]
View attachment 678968View attachment 678969View attachment 678973
Holy cow! That came out looking great! Far better than mine did with just a rag. I know what I'm going to be doing with mine now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks