m998 Solenoid Wire ( 74A ) Hot All The Time

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

knighthawk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1986 M998 that the starter solenoid burned out on. I replaced the solenoid and starter with a good used unit. When I hooked the batteries back up the starter engages and tries to start the engine. The problem is that wire ( 74A ) to the starter solenoid is hot all the time the batteries are hooked up even with the ignition switch in the off position. The ignition switch is working correctly ( tried a spare with the same results). At this point I suspect the power control box but I do not have a spare to try. Am I missing something or should I go ahead and order a replacement PCB ? M998 with a 6.5 and 200 amp alternator if it makes a difference.

knighthawk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No it is the stock ignition switch. Wire 11A is hot with the batteries connected. 29A gets power when switched to run and 14A gets power when switched to start. Checked with a meter and verified by changing out switches.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ign. switch out "S" should be 14A to Neutral sw.In...then Neutral out should be 14B to Smart start in socket "A".
Smart start out in eng. compartment is Pin " I " to wire 74A to solenoid.
Disconnect batteries, ...unplug under dash connector on Smart box.
Then reconnect batteries.....and with Ign, sw. off...check socket A on dis-connected harness.....should be no voltage until you turn Ign. sw to start [ with neutral sw. on shifter engaged.

knighthawk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
86humv, Per your suggestion I checked the dash connector on the smart box. I have no power to socket A in any position , i.e. no voltage in the off, run , or start positions.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
86humv, Per your suggestion I checked the dash connector on the smart box. I have no power to socket A in any position , i.e. no voltage in the off, run , or start positions.
Make sure your shifter is in neutral.
If nothing.....You can also disconnect it under truck and see if your getting voltage to the switch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks