• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Starter Motor Wiring Issues

vehiclesofvictory

Greetings,

I am working on our 86 M998 with 6.2L getting her up to spec. We spent the weeks before July 4th getting her ready to roll in a parade and look the part and in that role she did fine, but now I am starting to want to get her ready to make short trips to the corner store, and am running into a plethora of issues (as expected)

In a past life, the old girl was used at a hunting lodge to haul kill in. They rode it hard and put it up muddy. We filled it up when we got it and noticed a extremely small fuel leak up by the engine. Maybe a small puddle the size of a spoon after 24hrs of sitting, but it is fuel. I have heard the vapor return lines leak when you fill them to the top, and I won't be doing that again, but that prompted me to start looking for a fuel leak. Under the frame and in between the engine was caked mud that I scraped and hosed out and I used a pressure washer to spray the suspension clean, well, while I was doing that the starter starts rolling over. I roll down under the frame and it's bare wire galore.

IMG_9300.JPG

I have disconnected the battery and obviously I am not replacing a 90% great harness because the starter area is rough, so I am looking through the diagram and photos of how this is supposed to look. I know one wire is hot. The other one is a ground, and one is cut and frayed. I have seen many electrical diagram sin my day through work and HAM radio stuff, but I have no idea what the flow of this is supposed to look like.
StarterDiagram.jpg
If someone could explain what is supposed to be here or a nice pic of your clean harness on your 6.2 it would be greatly useful. TIA

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure what you are asking, you have the schematic and the wires are still intact even thought hey have no insulation, just repair them one at a time.

vehiclesofvictory

I am not sure what you are asking, you have the schematic and the wires are still intact even thought hey have no insulation, just repair them one at a time.
The wires are not all intact, one is broken off. Only one wire is hot but the schematic does not show which wires are hot. I see the solenoid in the diagram but again which of those are hot and where do they go? A picture of someone’s 6.2 starter where I can see the wiring would be worth it’s weight in gold.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually it does, if you trace 6A back it goes directly to the +24V battery terminal, so then 81B is hot, 7A goes to the battery negative (ground) so then 3D is ground, that leaves the only choice for 74 being the starter "start" signal from the run switch, 74A goes to the start switch and 74b, 81B,3D all go the the STE/ICE diag connector. (the dig port is RARELY ever used)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks