• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Starting Issues

johnhjohnson2

Over the past year I developed some starting issues. Sometimes the truck cranks right up like new, other times takes 10-30 tries to start. Pressing on accelerator slightly helps the issue some of the time but not every time. If you turn engine off after running and try to restart it kicks right on. But it you wait an hour or so the issue resumes. I assume its a priming issue but wanted to ask the experts before I start trying to chase it down. link for video IMG_6044iCloud Drive

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a check valve in the return fitting on top of the IP, I would check that first, its main job is to prevent air from entering the IP allowing fuel to drain back to the tank.
If only 1 hour causes trouble I would not think it would be a glow plug issue as the engine does not cool off enough in that amount of time.

johnhjohnson2

There is a check valve in the return fitting on top of the IP, I would check that first, its main job is to prevent air from entering the IP allowing fuel to drain back to the tank.
If only 1 hour causes trouble I would not think it would be a glow plug issue as the engine does not cool off enough in that amount of time.
That makes sense. How do I check that? I looked through the manuals and didn't see it but maybe I overlooked it.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is the fitting that has the nipple for the return hose on top of the IP, remove the hose and unscrew the nipple the check valve is in that nipple.
Sometimes crap gets in the valve and ether prevents it from being a check valve or plugs it up, the ball should be glass so you should be able to see any crap in there.
After saying all that is seems like only an hour would not be enough time to be a big problem but it is somewhere to start.
Of course you want to be really careful not to get any crap in the IP.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over the past year I developed some starting issues. Sometimes the truck cranks right up like new, other times takes 10-30 tries to start. Pressing on accelerator slightly helps the issue some of the time but not every time. If you turn engine off after running and try to restart it kicks right on. But it you wait an hour or so the issue resumes. I assume its a priming issue but wanted to ask the experts before I start trying to chase it down. link for video IMG_6044iCloud Drive
It is hard to tell from your link but it sounds like you are cycling the run switch, if you turn off the run switch you MUST wait 90 seconds before cycling the switch back on or you will fry your glow plugs, that IS in the TMs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks