• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 STUCK IN THE MUD, FRONT WHEELS NOT EVEN ROTATING

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah Ok. Used to roam around those fire roads and run road rallies down your way back 10 years ago.

Running on trails alone far from roads with no winch and no one to call...must be careful.

FJ Cruiser - never got into something I could not get out of thankfully.

Glad you found the root of the problem.

ToddJK

I've been a fan of off road fun for a long time. Have really messed up some vehicles in my time being stuck in some nasty mud holes. The best investment (excluding maintenance) is a winch. If it's seldom used, you don't need an expensive or name brand. The Harbor Freight BadLands winches are pretty good and currently 15% off. Matt's off-road recovery and Casey LaBelle swear by Badland winches and they seem to just work. Also, the YT channel Project Farm has a great winch video where he compares numerous brands side by side in a few tests. With a winch, I don't mind getting stuck, I actually try harder to get stuck just so I can use the winch, lol. The deuce winch may be a different story, it's not exactly one man operator friendly but gets the job done, but regular electric winches are a breeze to use.
The pics I attached is just a cheap Zeak winch I got off Amazon used with a snatch lock with a tow strap wrapped around a tree. The pics don't do it justice in terms of how sticky and deep the mud hole really was, but it was easy to recover myself.

Attachments

ToddJK

In most cases a winch in the rear to pull yourself back out of what you got into can be more useful than a winch in the front that's just pulling you further into the mess.
That's why I have the winch on a mounting plate meant for a receiver hitch, move it front or rear. However, most people have their winch permanently mounted on a front bumper, so knowing how to rig the winch line properly is key. With a few snatch blocks you can winch backwards with a front mounted winch. It's not always possible, but in most areas where people are trail riding, there's usually tree's to use.

Iambiig

Was just wondering, the wheels on the Humvee have this metal tube like structure mounted to the rim. In the manual/videos I saw, you could put a piece of rebar (or bar) through this tube, and wind a tow rope around this. The principal is that as the wheels turn, it will reel the rope and winch out the truck. Like a poor man's winch. I was told that this would probably do damage to the suspension. Has anybody ever done this?

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try the wheel winch... grab some rebar and nice piece of rope.. Id go in reverse with the back wheels, sounds like you may have issues with front end.. Id say use both rear wheels, otherwise youll start pulling sideways,,, Yoyu could probably anchor to another vehichle if no anchor points available.. And if you havce no idea what Im talking about, call a tow truck

Never tried it myself,, FYI

Iambiig

Try the wheel winch... grab some rebar and nice piece of rope.. Id go in reverse with the back wheels, sounds like you may have issues with front end.. Id say use both rear wheels, otherwise youll start pulling sideways,,, Yoyu could probably anchor to another vehichle if no anchor points available.. And if you havce no idea what Im talking about, call a tow truck

That was kind of what I was asking about the wheel winch. Never tried it either, but was told it would tear out the suspension.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I saw a vid once that showed a guy setting up but not using a "wheel winch" it was pretty obvious it was not going to work.
He did not have enough bend in the rebar to insure the rope would feed between the wheel and bar, the problem is if the bar had enough bend to work it would not fit through the "attachment" on the wheel.
Although it is in FM_21-305 I think it is 100% hokum