• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m998 transfer case

exoilfld

OK, I am going to ask a stupid question as I have not found the answer in a TM. What is the HL for on the shifter. I get the N, H, L; but not the HL.

papakb

High Lock is used to lock all 4 wheels into drive. It's only used offroad because it doesn't allow the differentials to operate the way their designed to.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Close, it locks the differential in the transfer case giving equal power to the front and rear differentials, the front and rear differentials are Torsen limited slip type, and the transfer case shifter changes nothing there.
Unlocked the differential in the transfer case is a plain ol open type with spider gears.

sue

Close, it locks the differential in the transfer case giving equal power to the front and rear differentials, the front and rear differentials are Torsen limited slip type, and the transfer case shifter changes nothing there.
Unlocked the differential in the transfer case is a plain ol open type with spider gears.
HL is the same as LL except twice as fast, or LL
is half as fast as HL

Ajax MD

OK, I am going to ask a stupid question as I have not found the answer in a TM. What is the HL for on the shifter. I get the N, H, L; but not the HL.
Also of special note in the -10 Operator's Manual, do NOT shift the transfer case while the engine is running. I drove the damned things in the reserves for 9 years and never knew this because we never went deep off-road.

CAUTION• Vehicle must be stopped, engine off, and transmission shift leverplaced in “N” (Neutral), before transfer case can be shifted.Failure to do this will result in damage to drivetrain.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also of special note in the -10 Operator's Manual, do NOT shift the transfer case while the engine is running. I drove the damned things in the reserves for 9 years and never knew this because we never went deep off-road.
yes, that is correct....i see people on the web constantly telling new owners there Tcase is broke cuz it won’t shift or grinds into gear...this is just wrong info, my answer is always, read the -10.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd swear one of the original Army videos for operator familiarization showed them shifting while running and trans in neutral. I'm happy to change that practice.
BDGR

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This would be the same as any other FWD vehicle ever made except with the 3sp there is no park, literally millions of trucks with NP transfer cases and automatic transmissions have been built, I would think this would be more pronounced when the tranny is cold, when I have my M998 on the lift and start it in neutral all the tires spin, not so when it is warm.
I have never had any issues shifting the transfer case but it has always been fully warmed up where the output shaft of the transmission does not have a tenancy to turn by itself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks