• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 vs M1123

RussMac

Looking for some clarification on the HMMWV specifically the M998 and M1123. I purchased an M1123 and it is currently in for PM and post sale inspection. I am looking for parts both OE and aftermarket to restore and upgrade mine. I'm needing clarification on if the parts are interchangeable between these 2. From everything I've read/researched they are were built on the same platform but I haven't been able to confirm if things like seats, grill guards, doors and hoods all fit. Same bolt patterns, fit and sizes? From my understanding my M1123 is basically a M998 with a HD suspension, higher payload capicity and the 4L80E transmission. Are these the most distinguishing options between the 2? I'm seeing many parts/pieces mainly listed for the M998 but aren't sure if I should pull the trigger to purchase for my M1123. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Your thoughts?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So to get every single difference, you'll have to go through the TM and check.

Basically, the M1123 is an M998A2 with heavier springs. That's about it when comparing basic versions of each.

Now, most (if not all) of the M1123s have the deep water fording kit installed (or most of it at least), or did have them installed before the auction company disabled it/hacked it up to comply with rules that make zero sense to anyone but the person writing them.

The M1123s I've seen also have the auxiliary umbilical cable behind the battery box; the heavier suspension was meant for having a shelter mounted on it and the umbilical is to plug in the shelter.

The body, engine, transmission, frame, and pretty much everything else is the same as the M998A2 (and the M998A2 has a bunch of upgrades over the M998A1 such as the 4 speed transmission, 6.5l vs 6.2l engine (though you'll find 6.5s in earlier HMMWVs that have gone through reset)
EDIT: I mentioned something about axles, in the TM I looked at all A2 vehicles use the 12k axles, A0 and A1 use the 7 or 10k axles.

But long story short, it's still always best to double check the TM to make sure it's the right part for your model, and verify it against the diagrams as well as sometimes the guys in the motorpools would mount or change things that might affect something you want to do something with.

Last edited:

RussMac

So to get every single difference, you'll have to go through the TM and check.

Basically, the M1123 is an M998A2 with heavier springs. That's about it when comparing basic versions of each.

Now, most (if not all) of the M1123s have the deep water fording kit installed (or most of it at least), or did have them installed before the auction company disabled it/hacked it up to comply with rules that make zero sense to anyone but the person writing them.

The M1123s I've seen also have the auxiliary umbilical cable behind the battery box; the heavier suspension was meant for having a shelter mounted on it and the umbilical is to plug in the shelter.

The body, engine, transmission, frame, and pretty much everything else is the same as the M998A2 (and the M998A2 has a bunch of upgrades over the M998A1 such as the 4 speed transmission, 6.5l vs 6.2l engine (though you'll find 6.5s in earlier HMMWVs that have gone through reset)
EDIT: I mentioned something about axles, in the TM I looked at all A2 vehicles use the 12k axles, A0 and A1 use the 7 or 10k axles.

But long story short, it's still always best to double check the TM to make sure it's the right part for your model, and verify it against the diagrams as well as sometimes the guys in the motorpools would mount or change things that might affect something you want to do something with.
Thanks for your info!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks