• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 wish list

Sarge29

Thanks to everyone for all of the help so far. I have a wish list of parts for my1989 M998 that will help me get in pretty good shape on the mechanical side of this rebuild (I hope). I still have to go through all 4 geared hubs just to make sure all is well in there. Send me a PM with any parts that you may have and a price with or without shipping. I live in Chappells South Carolina (zip code 29037)
Here is what I need for now:

Left and right windshield glass with retainers (this glass is about 1/2 thick)
Front bumper lifting shackles and brackets
All hood bumpers (the ones the hood rest on when closed)
Latches for trans doghouse (need all)
Basic transmission dipstick and tube (is there a civi part that works)
Wiper motor with switch mounted below the motor on the mount
Wiper arms with blades
Basic air cleaner cap
Front and rear seats and toolbox lids- I have the battery box lid and all of the bases are there but nothing else (old style 4 man setup)
Soft door hinges to mount on body for both rear doors
Not choosy on mirrors but don't want to try to see through a vibrating mirror
Is there a parts cross ref list out there somewhere?

Thanks,
Sarge29

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I have a air cleaner cap.I am looking for a lot of hmmwv parts also.People are going to give you **** for looking for parts on this forum.They want you to use the classified adds.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
If I sent pics of mine you would see 2 bare frame rails and a lot of parts all around it.Ill put some pics up soon.

Sarge29

I guess I went brain dead.aua I knew to go to the classifieds, but when you get a few years on you it is hard to remember everything. I will have to pay more attention to what I post. Maybe I wont get shot this time.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
or you could start a build thread....

from the rules....

It is OK to post an item for sale if it is done in an effort to help another member or if the need for a part comes up during the course of a restoration or repair thread. EXAMPLE 1: Member A posts that their Deuce is broken down and they believe it is due to a faulty in-tank pump. Member B may post that he has a used transfer pump for sale for $XX and to PM if interested. Example 2: Member A has an ongoing thread describing his M817 dump truck restoration. He mentions in that thread that one of his hydraulic lines is leaking and he would like to know who has the best price on them.

Sarge29

What does this fit??

This crossmember was in my M998 when I got it home. The transmission was out so I figured that was where it went. Wrong. I don't see anywhere it goes. Any Ideas?

Attachments

Sarge29

Slow and Steady

When I first picked this up there was lots to be done and lots of parts needed. The first thing that I noticed was that the right rear geared hub was off and the transmission was gone. Little did I know, That was just the start. Everything that had been taken off that had a wire on it had the wire cut taking the wire number with it. The gauge cluster, starter, alternator all had to have the wire traced and double checked. I put in a 3L80 from a 1008, All was well untill went to put the doghouse cover on. The trans dipstick was hitting. So I drag out the torch and heat and bend (straighten) untill everything is clear. Next is the alternator. I have a 60 amp alt that needed repair so off to the repair shop. He couldnt or rather wouldnt fix it but did sell me a 70 amp civi 24 volt replacement. Still a long way to go but I have learned a lot. This is not like the M151's or M37's or even the mules that I have built. Here are a few shots of where I am now. The shot of the hose is from where the last owner pulled the transmission and didnt support the engine, torn air cleaner hose.
I am always open to any ideas and or suggestions. If you see something let me know. I am always looking for parts at reasonable prices. I have been burned on this project already so I am trying to be careful.

Attachments

nattieleather

It looks like you have a project on your hands. Thanks for posting the pics. The good news is just about every part is available either through used surplus or via new dealers. The bad news is many people think their parts are worth the price of gold. But you should be able to make a good running truck when all said and done. Restoring a MV is like eating an elephant one bite at a time.

Sarge29

Thanks Nattieleather, definitely a project, but I love a challenge. I found the mechanical modulator for the transmission and hope to get it in this week. I found out today that some of the exhaust manifold/header bolts have gone AWOL. I thought about taking the windshield frame to a local shop and having regular auto safety glass put in for the windshield. Anyone have any experience with this? You are right about the parts. Some out there think they have gold plated parts. I will say that there have been a few that have gone above and beyond to help. I had one member send me a PCB, 8 glow plugs and a glow plug controller for the price of postage. I will not forget him and will repay him someday. I am not in a hurry, so I can wait till the right deal comes along. It will soon be time to take another bite out of that elephant!

DSO_351

If you have a broken glass in the windshield any local glass shop can use the pattern. There is a member on the G503 that can get some crossover H1 parts from the dealership at very good prices.

DSO_351

Most of the engine parts are GM. Looking on the SS Classified section some are parting them out. Part assembly hardware is often listed in the technical manuals with sizes. McMaster Carr has a great website for quick identification. Fastenal may be in your local area.

DSO_351

Pictured Transmission crossmember isn't Humvee. There are two military versions. One for 3L80, another for 4L80E. Second one has an extended mounting ear for the longer transmission.

Sarge29

OK That crossmember is headed to my scrap pile. The transfer if finally mounted to the transmission. Now to connect the drive shafts, then plumb and fill the transmission. After that I will check and recheck everything then comes the good part. Test run of the engine. I hope it runs well.

Sarge29

Starter bracket

I have a starter off of a 1008 that I will be using temporarily on my 998. Once I got it mounted I tried to put the support bracket on and it will not fit auaauaaua I put the bolt in the engine block and the hole for the starter stud did not line up with the stud. I thought that all 6.2 engines and starters were the same. Maybe I need to stop thinking! The starter is out of an 86 008 and the M998 is a 1989. Whats up? Is the 6.5 different? Maybe I have a 6.5 in the 998. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Sarge29

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks