• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 with 200 amp alt running in the red

jmenende

Im worried about overcharging the batteries right now its running at 28vdc idle and 34vdc full revvs. I know analog gauges cannot be trusted but i verified these reading with my digital mm. Anyone seen this issue before? Can the 200 amp generators exitation be lowered a bit?
20231115_161530.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1st make sure you are seeing the high voltage at the IGN terminal on the regulator, that is what the regulator uses as a voltage reference, if for some reason it is "low" then the alt keeps cranking up the volts to try to compensate.
Other than that you likely have a bad regulator.
Edit, there is no adjustment on the 200A regulator.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the regulator repairable?
No. It is “potted” meaning covered in epoxy and such.

I would like it, as I’m beginning work on replacing the expensive unit with cheaper components, just like when I worked with others and I posted when I took apart PCB/EESS boxes and published how to bypass.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have wet cell batteries, pop the caps and check fluid levels. Batteries could be boiling over needing acid/distilled water mix. There is a simple ball float hydrometer tool to check acid water mix.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks