• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 with 7k miles, won't start

darkostoj

Hi, I just bought 2 M998's and I love these! I am excited to become part of the community here.

Unfortunately, one of them won't start and it is the truck with 7k miles. Everything is in great shape, so I would assume it is nothing catastrophic.

I did some research on the site but was not able to figure things out.

The wait light will come on for roughtly 10 seconds then turn off and the engine will crank and sound normal, but will not start.

Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks!

orgnal

Hi, I just bought 2 M998's and I love these! I am excited to become part of the community here.

Unfortunately, one of them won't start and it is the truck with 7k miles. Everything is in great shape, so I would assume it is nothing catastrophic.

The wait light will come on for roughtly 10 seconds then turn off and the engine will crank and sound normal, but will not start.

Thanks!
Check fuel lines and make sure fuel is making it all the way from the fuel tank to the injectors.

McReddy

General Hood

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum BTW, I see this is your first post

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks!
Start at the ground and work your way up... Is there fuel in the tank?

If the system ran dry, you need to pressurize the tank to force fuel into the pump. Then check the fuel pum to ensure it is good and pressure in the line os from the pump and not a full tank/gravity.

T

Presale

Don't ever let them run out of diesel. Bleeding the air is a mess.
Don't over do it, but remove the air cleaner and try just one small shot of starting fluid in the intake. If it runs even for 2 seconds it tells you if your onto a fuel issue or electrical.
It worked for me.

Wire Fox

Don't ever let them run out of diesel. Bleeding the air is a mess.
Don't over do it, but remove the air cleaner and try just one small shot of starting fluid in the intake. If it runs even for 2 seconds it tells you if your onto a fuel issue or electrical.
It worked for me.
Again, I hate to be following behind you like this again and it's nothing personal, but I have to give fair warning that starting fluid is known to cook the glow plugs in these engines in as little as a single use. It's a very expensive proposition and it's honestly far cheaper and easier in the long run to just take a fuel line off at the injectors to see if you're getting fuel spray while trying to start.

Presale

Good point
I did it once maybe I got lucky.
I did notice when I picked up one of mine in Sa Marcos, TX the GP guy brought a 24v jump starter and a can of starting fluid. He used the jump starter on mine & it started right up.