• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 with Brush Guard - any off the shelf options for winch mount?

rolling18

Ok so don't laugh,
but I have a front mount winch and when I head off road I pull the cable out throw it under the truck and hook it to the rear bumper then pull up the slack and head out. If i need to pull backwards I free spool the winch and pull the cable backwards and winch, If I need to pull forward I unhook the cable from the rear and use the winch to pull it forward to the front and winch forward. An old timer taught me this trick pulling the cable back under the truck before it gets stuck is in his words working smarter not harder.
Have done this for years, and it works just my 2 cents worth.
Can't laugh at that!
There's literally endless scenarios where different things work and don't work
For me the odds of being able to get under the Humvee or pull the line under after I get stuck in mud or high centered or something that pinches the line up against the vehicle would be my luck!

And just throwing the The extra winch I had back there definitely couldn't hurt and it was cheap relatively. And easy!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you carry enough pulleys and some spare winch line, you can usually find a way to winch yourself out in any direction (provided you have something to hook your winch line to.)
of course, most of my driving is in the forest, so plenty of trees to use if I need to hook up to something, but biggest thing is I never go out by myself.

example:

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a similar brush guard: like this:

1C6CA37F-BCC3-4B50-B4B3-0155E3591DB9.jpeg

but this front plate:

F0545230-435E-4821-83BD-6BE1AAAB7B41.png

The brackets that came with the brushguard attach in the horizontal plane and the outer holes fall outside the plate:

2C79DADD-104C-4398-8DDA-1B771F3D6C6C.jpeg

What brackets would work with it? (the holes would have to be in the vertical plane, above and below the brush guard securing point)

EDIT: Added pictures

EDIT 2: Also, what “off the shelf “ electric winch would go with that plate or fit with least modifications?

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pictured are the winch style Luverne brackets.
I used to have them made, but not enough people looking anymore ....and cost went up.

Attachments

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pictured are the winch style Luverne brackets.
I used to have them made, but not enough people looking anymore ....and cost went up.
I see, these brackets have the brush guard attached at the top and the shackles below.
About how much do the brackets run these day? (before I chop mine up lol)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks