• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998A1 Body harness removal

Odakrem

Hey guys!

I was was wondering if any of you knew how to get the body harness out? I have everything pulled except I can't fit the trailer plug connector through where they have the wiring ran between the frame and the body.

Must I lift the body up to get it through or is there a way to take the plug apart so it's not big and square like.

Here he is the plug and area I can't get it through, also some pics of my hardtop install and 6.2 to 6.5 swap, that's why I'm swapping harnesses so I can throw this 6.5 in.

thanks for the input!

the connector

area I can't fit it through(drivers,rear)

hardtop progress

parts

Also, since I'm replacing the A1 harness with an A2 does anyone have a picture of where/how the TCM,trans relay and breaker are mounted? Also how the A2 harness is routed to get to TCM and relay and breaker. It would brim have appreciated, the TM doesn't really describe any of these things in detail.

Last edited:

Odakrem

Update: I unbolted the four body mounts in the back and jacked up the drivers rear, right in front of the wheel arch, lifted slowly and was able to feed the old harness through and put the new one through.

I still would like to know how the transmission section of the harness is routed if anyone has diagrams/pictures that would be great!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally, someone doing it right...it's a breath of fresh air. As you have found, yes, you must lift the body up to get the old harness out....but only if your going to keep the old harness. If not, then it can be cut out at the beginning and end of the frame rail along the body and the old piece left clamped on the body, then you have a place to tie wrap the new harness too when you put it in. As far as routing the new harness, there is nothing on how the harness routes.
your welcome to call the shop to discuss the correct routing....

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never thought of trying them, I was under the impression that they wouldn't sell. Do you have the part number? Thanks, Lionel

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, great advice guys. HPG was super helpful and the harness is on its way. What a great site. Thanks everyone.

Chalvo

How did you route the new harness during installation? I am trying to replace my harness now. I have the harness pulled from the rear half of vehicle now. I can't figure out how to pull the harness up between the frame and body.

Chalvo

I just installed the new harness as I removed the old. Put the new harness in the place of the old. Lifted body where needed.
Thank you. By chance do you remember if you pulled the trailer plug through the front part of the frame or did you pull the front and dash branch of harness down through the body and frame? I understand that most folks remove the body to do this but that is not an option for me. I am trying to do this all by myself and it is becoming a huge pain in the rear!

Odakrem

If I'm not mistaken, I installed new harness as I removed it from front to the middle of vehicle. Then I removed the harness from the rear and lifted body to get trailer plug out. While I had it lifted I pulled new harness trailer plug through where I needed the body lifted. And put new harness where old one was. Rear of the vehicle has only a few connectors so is easy to hook up.

Odakrem

You dont need to remove the body. But you will have to unbolt the rear of the body from the frame and Jack it up enough to squeeze trailer plug between frame and body.

Chalvo

You dont need to remove the body. But you will have to unbolt the rear of the body from the frame and Jack it up enough to squeeze trailer plug between frame and body.
Right now, I have all the harness freed and lying under the vehicle. I finally managed to get the harness free from the left hand channel. The part of the harness that is in the cab under the dash is still in there but disconnected. Should I push that section out into engine bay and down through the frame and body or should I pull the harness from the rear up through the frame and body? I am not sure if I can lift the body high enough to make enough space to get the harness through there. Thanks again for the help!

Odakrem

I'm unsure. It's been over 3 years since I did it. And since sold my truck. So I'm relying on memory. I would say pull it out the way that makes the most sense. Or the way that's easiest. I wish I could be of more assistance but I just don't remember the exact way to do it.

I just remember pulling it out from front n rear to the middle of the truck, and installed it just as I took it out.

Chalvo

I'm unsure. It's been over 3 years since I did it. And since sold my truck. So I'm relying on memory. I would say pull it out the way that makes the most sense. Or the way that's easiest. I wish I could be of more assistance but I just don't remember the exact way to do it.

I just remember pulling it out from front n rear to the middle of the truck, and installed it just as I took it out.
Awesome, thank you! I have the harness to the middle of the truck now. Just fighting a few more clamps. Hopefully after the last few clamps, I will be able to lift the truck high enough to feed the harness out and feed the new harness in.

Thanks again for helping me out! I truly appreciate it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks