• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998A1 Front sway bar

trooper632

Hello, I replaced the worn out pittman arm yesterday and decided to not reinstall the front sway bar. Just trying to see if it makes it alittle softer ride and a little more articulation. It doesnt get driven down the highway or any major offroading at all just driven on the ranch . Any pros or cons on leaving it off

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not remove the sway bar from a vehicle that has a tendency to roll over.
why do Hmmwv’s have a tendency to roll over? It’s has the lowest Center of gravity of probably any vehicle on the road.
But as far as removing suspension components? It’s ridiculous…if you need a vehicle that needs this “soft ride” maybe a hmmwv isn’t for you ?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
why do Hmmwv’s have a tendency to roll over? It’s has the lowest Center of gravity of probably any vehicle on the road.
But as far as removing suspension components? It’s ridiculous…if you need a vehicle that needs this “soft ride” maybe a hmmwv isn’t for you ?
I think you meant to say highest center of gravity.

Autonomy_Lost

I seem to have ruffled some feathers, I am not an expert but I have observed some things that indicate that humvees have a high rollover risk. The first thing is this sticker which is on every humvee I've seen:

1663604670672.png

Also a quick google search will show a lot of rolled over humvees:

1663604723400.png

1663604739386.png

1663604759375.png

1663604788587.png

The military has even developed a "humvee rollover training simulator," and I'm sure they had a reason to spend the money on it.

I wont even get into the recent video that was discussed here because that seems to be ruffling some feathers too.

Granted, many of these rolled humvees are armored which will raise the center of gravity. And some rollovers may be attributed to spindle nuts, tire failures, or operator failure. However, the purpose of a sway bar is to reduce body roll and without it you are at a higher risk of rolling over, period.

The more humvees roll over, the more likely the government will think twice about continuing to sell them to the public.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vehicles with high center of gravity are prone to rollover as they are higher mass off the ground. Low center of gravity brings it closer to the ground and more stable.
First off, you know better, 2nd is that 99% of those photos are of IED and land mines, so good try..the rollover issue ONLY applies to Up armored trucks with GPK and OGPK’s, a short trip to the AMGeneral website will reveal the incredible approach, departure and side slope angle of the truck, so famous as to be in the sales brochures.
This is the truck that your referencin, the Mall crawlers 99.9% of what owners have here is not the issue.

712B3815-60EB-46A7-A122-4948F428D6F5.jpeg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
uparmored trucks have the "rollover" warning decal (that clearly states "Armored" on it)

unarmored trucks, especially soft top trucks; the center of gravity is amazingly low for the size of tires and amount of ground clearance it has.

Was parked next to a suburban over the weekend that was running 37" Wrangler MT tires on it. Suburban was at least a foot and a half taller than I was, and obviously a lot higher center of gravity.

Most civilian trucks, by the time you put the same size tires on them, will be a LOT more prone to roll over.

Mostly though, it's about not driving like an idiot.

Autonomy_Lost

uparmored trucks have the "rollover" warning decal (that clearly states "Armored" on it)

unarmored trucks, especially soft top trucks; the center of gravity is amazingly low for the size of tires and amount of ground clearance it has.

Was parked next to a suburban over the weekend that was running 37" Wrangler MT tires on it. Suburban was at least a foot and a half taller than I was, and obviously a lot higher center of gravity.

Most civilian trucks, by the time you put the same size tires on them, will be a LOT more prone to roll over.

Mostly though, it's about not driving like an idiot.
I don't disagree with any of this. But also consider that the humvee does not have air bags. So in the event it DOES rollever, even if less likely, its not going to be a fun time for the occupants.

Additionally, humvees don't have stability control and most don't have antilock brakes. So when you panic brake and swerve to avoid a collision, you are going to want your sway bar to be installed! The sway bar doesn't just prevent rollovers, it also helps keep weight on the inside tire, giving you more traction and control.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did we ever survive the pre 80s with no traction control anti skid brakes and such,,, WE LEARNED HOW TO DRIVE!!!
That is the biggest problem I have with all the current "smart" technology.
It decreases the amount of attention required, and thus the operator never actually learns any skills.

Back as a teenager I put my parent's F150 down a small embankment right outside of my high school.
spun the tires at a light, fishtailed, and over corrected, going off the road.

After that I spent a lot of time playing on loose gravel to get a feel for how it felt and reacted to low traction.

With a modern vehicle it won't allow me to do any of that stuff without disabling a bunch of electronic controls.

I don't remember the name of the test, but there is one that involves taking a vehicle through a series of corners/obstacles and how fast it can go through without issues is the higher the score.
Newer vehicles have so many electronics to fight with for that test that they perform much worse than older vehicles of the same basic type simply because the vehicle won't allow it to happen.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vehicle fatalies have actually been on a steady decline since the 80's:

There is no doubt that the safety equipment installed on new vehicle have saved many lives, but there would be MANY less deaths if we actually spent the time to teach folks to drive, the first thing at least 75% of the drivers do when faced with a situation is slam on the brakes because that is what they teach them to do when most of the time it is the wrong thing to do, add all the idiots that think they can drive and text etc. (there are folks reading this that think they can, hint no you can't) and we really need the air bags.
My instructor in, oh lets just say way back actually forced us to drive off of the shoulder and how to recover without over correcting, that accounts for probably 50% of the single vehicle accidents and most of the rollover accidents in this country.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks