• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MA, 5 Ton, CDL, MA RMV

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to my insurance guy, you must register the truck at it's GVW, you cannot de-rate it by registering it as less, it's an offence in MA, if you are stopped and the registation and data plate do not match you will be cited.

Unless your insurance agent also works for DMV I would check with DMV on this as registered weight is completely different from a vehicle's GVWR. They can not force you to get tags at a higher weight then you need. If you have a vehicle with a GVWR of 40,000 pound but will only be loading it to 25,000 pounds then you only need to register it to 25,000 pounds. The price of the registration goes up the higher the registered weight gets. So you shouldn't have to pay extra for something you don't need. But as someone else already mentioned you never want to get caught exceeding your registered weight as it will hit the fan real quick if you get caught overweight.

One other thing to keep in mind is that most states go by the vehicle's actual weight rating (GVWR) for licensing requirements (unless they have an exemption for personal use regardless of weight) as that is completely different from the issue of registered weight used for the purpose of tags. So when you talk to DMV make sure you specify whether you're talking about weight rating for the purpose of licensing or weight rating for the purpose of registration as they are two different issues.

Danl

Danl M915A1

I think if you build this truck frame work, lift kits tire size change. Were there is no tital, you become the builder you set the Gvw.jest stay inside of true speck and dump your broker find one that will play ball, Most of these Mv when we get finish with them thay are home made . thank you Danl

spicergear

On that topic, and no offense meant to anyone (though it may...) the bobbed trucks getting away with antique tags is going to become a problem at some point. I hate to not be wildly optimistic about this; but I feel its more 'when and how big a problem' not 'IF' it ever becomes a problem.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Unless your insurance agent also works for DMV I would check with DMV on this as registered weight is completely different from a vehicle's GVWR. They can not force you to get tags at a higher weight then you need. If you have a vehicle with a GVWR of 40,000 pound but will only be loading it to 25,000 pounds then you only need to register it to 25,000 pounds. The price of the registration goes up the higher the registered weight gets. So you shouldn't have to pay extra for something you don't need. But as someone else already mentioned you never want to get caught exceeding your registered weight as it will hit the fan real quick if you get caught overweight.

One other thing to keep in mind is that most states go by the vehicle's actual weight rating (GVWR) for licensing requirements (unless they have an exemption for personal use regardless of weight) as that is completely different from the issue of registered weight used for the purpose of tags. So when you talk to DMV make sure you specify whether you're talking about weight rating for the purpose of licensing or weight rating for the purpose of registration as they are two different issues.
This makes no sense, how can a truck be LICENSED with it's true GVWR be REGISTERED with a different GVWR, when the IICENSING is based on the REGISTERATION, would BET a case could be made for FRAUD by doing this.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
On that topic, and no offense meant to anyone (though it may...) the bobbed trucks getting away with antique tags is going to become a problem at some point. I hate to not be wildly optimistic about this; but I feel its more 'when and how big a problem' not 'IF' it ever becomes a problem.
I have been saying this for a while,
First - a bobber is no longer a 2 1/2 ton truck (deuce), so can not be reg. as a old 2 1/2 deuce, hence no antique deuce plates.
Second - a bobber is a new build hence again no antique deuce plates.
Third - since a bobber is not a deuce but a highly moded truck, doubt insurance will cover a event that involves a bobber reg. as a deuce.
Forth - I see a bobber getting impounded at a stop because of a FALSE reg, ( reg. states 6x6, 2 1/2 ton truck, LEO is looking at a 4x4 NOT looking like a deuce)
Fifth - in case of an event, ALL of the above will come into play, starting with a NON-legal truck, then a DOWN HILL run from there.
Six - The the pratice of antique plates on a new build bobber makes the MV hobby look bad ( cheating the system)
I am sure with just a bit more thought I could make the above list a even dozen

Last edited:

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This makes no sense, how can a truck be LICENSED with it's true GVWR be REGISTERED with a different GVWR, when the IICENSING is based on the REGISTERATION, would BET a case could be made for FRAUD by doing this.
Nope, no fraud. Driver's licensing requirements (i.e. does it need a CDL or not) and registration fees based on registered weight (called a weighted tag) are two different things. This is where state regulations/statutes can be a pain to read as you can find two different definitions of what constitutes a commercial vehicle. In most states driver's licensing is based only on the vehicle's GVWR, not registration. If you live in a state that does not give a personal use exemption for trucks with a GVWR over 26,000 pounds then you need a CDL to drive such a critter (or a non-commercial class A or B license if they offer such a thing but not all states do). This is based on the vehicle's actual GVWR on the data plate. Again, registration has nothing to do with with this as this is about driver's licensing and not tags. But as I said this is how I've seen it done in most states that don't give a personal use exemption. If they do then this is a moot point as a CDL would not needed.

Now when it comes to the actual tags/registration you can get as much or as little weight as you want, even if it's less than the vehicle's GVWR. Since tags are separate from licensing requirements this has no effect on whether a CDL is needed or not. In Florida they give no exemptions for personal use if the vehicle has a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more and has a fifth wheel on the back (Florida only gives a personal use exemption from needing a CDL for cargo trucks). So in Florida I have to have a class B CDL just to drive an antique semi truck since licensing is based on the truck's GVWR in this state. But when it comes to tags for the same semi truck I can get weighted tags with a limit of 25,000 pounds if I want since this has nothing to do with the GVWR and driver's licensing. I just can't exceed the amount of weight on my registration. This is standard procedure when getting tags for large trucks (over 10,000 pounds in most states). Especially if you live in a state that does not issue antique tags for large trucks and you have to buy commercial tags. But even if my registration is only for 25,000 I still have to have a CDL in Florida since the requirement for the CDL is based on the GVWR and not the tags.

The key issue is that this is a state by state deal. Most of the states I have had antique semi trucks in let you set the amount of registration weight you want independent of the vehicle's GVWR. But I do know of at least one state (Alaska) that bases your registration fees on the vehicle's empty (unladen) weight. Alaska doesn't deal with weighted tags nor do they care about the vehicle's GVWR when it comes to registration. They only care about the vehicle's GVWR when it comes to driver's license requirements. The last time we PCS'd from Alaska I drove a semi truck and trailer (total weight was about 43,000 pounds) from Alaska all the way to Florida. Several times I had my registration checked and each time they asked how much I was tagged for. And each time they gave me a strange look when I told them I didn't have weighted tags as Alaska doesn't do it that way. Most DOT folks got the hint and dropped the subject at that point but a few gave me the fifth degree as they thought I was lying. They kept wanting to know what I was tagged for. aua

On a side note there is one state (MD) that from what I understand (due to a recent thread here on SS) that bases the requirement for a CDL on the vehicle's registered weight and not the GVWR. The way I understand it (again, based on what was mentioned in the thread) is that you can have a personal use 5 ton 6x6 (i.e. something with a GVWR over 26,000 pounds) in MD with weighted tags for 25,000 pounds and as long as the registered weight is under 26,001 pounds then no CDL is required. It's not till you want to actually exceed 26,000 pounds that the CDL requirement kicks in. This is the only state I know of (at this time) that bases the requirement for a CDL on personal use vehicles on the registration weight and not the GVWR on the data plate. There may be other states that do this but I am not aware of any others (I don't claim to know all states :) ).

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First - a bobber is no longer a 2 1/2 ton truck (deuce), so can not be reg. as a old deuce, hence no antique deuce plates.
Third - since a bobber is not a deuce but a highly moded truck, doubt insurance will cover a event that involves a bobber reg. as a deuce.
Forth - I see a bobber getting impounded at a stop because of a FALSE reg, ( reg. states 6x6, 2 1/2 ton truck, LEO is looking at a 4x4 NOT looking like a deuce)
Fifth - in case of an event, ALL of the above will come into play, starting with a NON-legal truck, then a DOWN HILL run from there.
Six - The the pratice of antique plates on a new build bobber makes the MV hobby look bad ( cheating the system)

The trick is at what point does a modification mean that the vehicle's original build date no longer applies? They change semi trucks from tandem rear axles to single axles (or from single to tandem) and shorten or lengthen the frames all the time yet that does not effect their year of build. So why wouldn't it be the same for a deuce and a half? It's not like you're dropping a 1934 Ford coupe body on to a 2010 Chevy truck chassis. :)

The one problem I do see with conflicting info from a 5 ton data plate on a bobbed truck is the claim by DOT that a CDL would be required in some states since the data plate still indicates it has a GVWR in excess of 26,000 pounds. From my understanding due to dealing with antique semi trucks there's supposed to be a method for getting a vehicle inspected in order to have the GVWR changed due to changes in the rear suspension but I've never looked in to who it was that would do this.

As far as some of your other points I agree with you on some aspects. In Florida you can get permanent antique plates for any ex-military or fire truck regardless of the year it was built (even if it's only 5 years old). This is an special deal by Florida only for ex-military or fire trucks as the normal rules restrict permanent antique plates to vehicles 5,000 pounds or less (i.e. I can't get permanent antique plates for my 40 year old civilian semi trucks since they weigh more then 5,000 pounds). The catch is the rules state it is only for vehicles that are restored (or to be restored) to their original military condition. Since the military never used bobbed M35's or M818's by Florida rules they are not restored to their original configuration and therefore not eligible for permanent antique plates. Yet I've seen a lot of people down here with 6x6's that were bobbed yet they are still driving around with permanent antique tags. So far I have not heard of any cops being a pain about this but if someone wanted to make a stink about it it could make for a bad day for someone driving a bobbed truck if they have permanent antique plates.

Last edited:

spicergear

Okay, so in what state can you get an antique plate on something you just built that never existed...and get it right now...on something with body, frame, axle, wheelbase, brake and suspension modifications?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

I am talking about the LICENSE PLATE for the GVWR as comparied to the reg, use GVWR, along with the use weight fees that would be different. ( like a 10T GVWR truck reg as a 5T GVWA truck)

T4bergie

M/Sgt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about this thought.

If you are making something that has not existed before, you are now a manufacturer of that vehicle even though part of it existed as something else at one time.

Now the vehicle has to be submitted for approval and given a designation as to what it is just like auto companies do. It will probably have to meet all current safety and pollution requirements correct?

If something should happen on the road then what? A modified vehicle with no classification, name, approvals etc. Not a good situation to be in.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am talking about the LICENSE PLATE for the GVWR as comparied to the reg, use GVWR, along with the use weight fees that would be different. ( like a 10T GVWR truck reg as a 5T GVWA truck)
Well, seeing as how the OP was talking about CDL issues my use of the word "licensing" in my reply to the OP was in regards to drivers license issues. So when you quoted my comment of "the vehicle's actual weight rating (GVWR) for licensing requirements" I thought you were asking in regards to drivers licenses, not license plates. Sorry about that.

Now that I know you were talking about license plates I'm really confused about your question as license plates are just plates, it's the registration that's connected to those plates that means the most. Since you don't have to license plate a 10 ton truck as a 10 ton truck but can in fact register it at the GVWR of a 5 ton you're question is going over my head. :?: Sorry, I'm lost on this one.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
First - a bobber is no longer a 2 1/2 ton truck (deuce), so can not be reg. as a old 2 1/2 deuce, hence no antique deuce plates.
Third - since a bobber is not a deuce but a highly modded truck, doubt insurance will cover a event that involves a bobber reg. as a deuce.
The trick is at what point does a modification mean that the vehicle's original build date no longer applies? They change semi trucks from tandem rear axles to single axles (or from single to tandem) and shorten or lengthen the frames all the time yet that does not effect their year of build. So why wouldn't it be the same for a deuce and a half? It's not like you're dropping a 1934 Ford coupe body on to a 2010 Chevy truck chassis. :)

The one problem I do see with conflicting info from a 5 ton data plate on a bobbed truck is the claim by DOT that a CDL would be required in some states since the data plate still indicates it has a GVWR in excess of 26,000 pounds. From my understanding due to dealing with antique semi trucks there's supposed to be a method for getting a vehicle inspected in order to have the GVWR changed due to changes in the rear suspension but I've never looked in to who it was that would do this.

As far as some of your other points I agree with you on some aspects. In Florida you can get permanent antique plates for any ex-military or fire truck regardless of the year it was built (even if it's only 5 years old). This is an special deal by Florida only for ex-military or fire trucks as the normal rules restrict permanent antique plates to vehicles 5,000 pounds or less (i.e. I can't get permanent antique plates for my 40 year old civilian semi trucks since they weigh more then 5,000 pounds). The catch is the rules state it is only for vehicles that are restored (or to be restored) to their original military condition. Since the military never used bobbed M35's or M818's by Florida rules they are not restored to their original configuration and therefore not eligible for permanent antique plates. Yet I've seen a lot of people down here with 6x6's that were bobbed yet they are still driving around with permanent antique tags. So far I have not heard of any cops being a pain about this but if someone wanted to make a stink about it it could make for a bad day for someone driving a bobbed truck if they have permanent antique plates.
Yes this is true, BUT after the mod is done the reg. HAS to be changed from 2 axle to 3 axle, or the other way around, PLUS a reweigh is required along with a NEW GVWR, the year may stay the same but that's about it, I have done this very mod in CA. more then a few times, not only the above, the truck HAS to have a NEW DOT inspection, even if it was done just before the mod and if if there was a UPGEADE to BRAKE requirements since the original build date, the mod HAS to comply

Last edited:

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes this is true, BUT after the mod is done the reg. HAS to be changed from 2 axle to 3 axle, or the other way around, PLUS a reweigh is required along with a NEW GVWR, the year may stay the same but that's about it, I have done this very mod in CA. more then a few times, not only the above, the truck HAS to have a NEW DOT inspection, even if it was done just before the mod and if if there was a UPGEADE to BRAKE requirements since the original build date, the mod HAS to comply
That sounds like CA for you as they are the only state I know of that is really anal about tandem axles vehicles since they treat all tandem axle trucks as commercial vehicles regardless of GVWR (even deuce and a halves). :( So I can see a big incentive for changing the registration on a bobbed truck in CA to having 2 axles instead of 3. Don't know of any other states that care whether a vehicle has 2 or 3 axles for the purpose of registration though as every state I've had semi trucks registered in only cared about the unladen weight and the amount of weight I wanted to register it to so they could bill me as much as possible for it. Never was asked whether it had 2 or 3 axles. Just how much weight did I want to pay for.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That sounds like CA for you as they are the only state I know of that is really anal about tandem axles vehicles since they treat all tandem axle trucks as commercial vehicles regardless of GVWR (even deuce and a halves). :( So I can see a big incentive for changing the registration on a bobbed truck in CA to having 2 axles instead of 3. Don't know of any other states that care whether a vehicle has 2 or 3 axles for the purpose of registration though as every state I've had semi trucks registered in only cared about the unladen weight and the amount of weight I wanted to register it to so they could bill me as much as possible for it. Never was asked whether it had 2 or 3 axles. Just how much weight did I want to pay for.
It is not being anal about 2 axle or 3 axle, it is the correct description of the truck on the REG. along different braking dynamics, you go to BUY a 3 axle truck, but only has 2 axles, do not think "oh no big deal, I dropped 1 axle, but things are ok because the reg. states it is a 3 axle" is going to go far. 2 or 3 axle has a lot to do with the allowed GVWR, some states look at 2 or 3 axle as the amount of ware an tare on there road ways (3 axle more ware then a 2 axle) so the truck is taxed accordingly. When they ask for the unladen weight, and how much you want to load, they are going on the assumption that the load weight legal window is inside of the GVWR (axles, length, ect) and that you know what is legal, the weigh station and DOT may have a different idea.
The number of axles and length are a major IMPORTANT component of the GVWR,

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is not being anal about 2 axle or 3 axle, it is the correct description of the truck on the REG. along different braking dynamics, you go to BUY a 3 axle truck, but only has 2 axles, do not think "oh no big deal, I dropped 1 axle, but things are ok because the reg. states it is a 3 axle" is going to go far. 2 or 3 axle has a lot to do with the allowed GVWR, some states look at 2 or 3 axle as the amount of ware an tare on there road ways (3 axle more ware then a 2 axle) so the truck is taxed accordingly. When they ask for the unladen weight, and how much you want to load, they are going on the assumption that the load weight legal window is inside of the GVWR (axles, length, ect) and that you know what is legal, the weigh station and DOT may have a different idea.
The number of axles and length are a major IMPORTANT component of the GVWR,
Yes, I agree with you that the number of axles and length are major factors in a vehicle's GVWR. But as I mentioned before GVWR means little to most states when it comes to registration/tags. They know a heavy truck is going to create more wear and tear on the roads and that's why the registration fee is based on the total weight you want to haul and not the vehicle's unladen weight (except Alaska), number of axles, or amount of tires touching the road. That's why they have weighted tags in the first place. The key words in my statement though are "most states". Are there a few states that are more picky and want to know how many axles a vehicle has? I wouldn't doubt it, but they are few and far between and not the norm. The rest of the states don't care how many axles you have as you can have a 26,000 pound rated truck with three axles or a two axle truck rated at 38,000 pounds. The DMV people mainly care that you pay for the amount of road damage you might do based on that weight. But yes, a few states might want to know the amount of axles a vehicle has but as I said that is not the norm and I did specify "most states". I know a few states may be different so I know better than to say "all states". :) Anyhow, it's mainly the DOT people that might stop me for a random inspection that are going to care what the data plate says in regards to GVWR and that my loaded weight does not exceed it or my registered weight. They are the ones that would ticket me for excess weight if I put the suspension and axles from a 10 ton truck under a five ton and exceed the 5 ton's GVWR that's on the data plate as that's where the GVWR means the most. But as long as the registered weight is not exceeded DMV in most states doesn't care. It's mainly the DOT people that are going to come after you.

But as I said you are correct that the number of axles has a major effect on a vehicle's GVWR. If you convert a truck from a tandem setup to a single rear axle then the GVWR on the data plate is no longer valid. That I'm not challenging. Yes, you should get the truck inspected to have a new weight rating assigned to it due to the change to CYA but if you're driving an empty bobbed deuce and a half or 5 ton then the GVWR on the data plate means nothing as you aren't any where near that number, though you may get in trouble if you are driving a bobbed 5 ton without a CDL due to the data plate indicating you might need one. Now if you get stopped with the bobbed truck at or near it's original GVWR then expect all heck to break loose as you will most likely receive a nice pile of tickets due to that GVWR being invalid.

As far as my comment about CA being anal that was in regards to how they have a requirement for anyone driving a tandem axle truck to have a CDL, even a WWII 1.5 ton Dodge 6x6 even though it's GVWR is well under 26,001 pounds, just because it has tandem axles. The Feds, along with most of the U.S., only require a CDL if the GVWR exceeds 26,000 pounds. They don't care if it has 2, 3, or 4 axles. It's the GVWR that matters to most states, not axles. So for CA to say all drivers of tandem axle trucks must have a CDL even if the GVWR is under 26,001 pounds is just anal to me as even the Feds don't have this requirement. I have no problem if they want to list the number of axles on the registration. It's the CDL required based solely on having 3 axles and not based on GVWR that I was talking about as they are the only state I know of to do this.

The main reason I was bringing up converting a 6x6 with tandem rears to a 4x4 was in regards to your comment about how doing so means the vehicle is no longer an antique truck. That I've never heard of and that's what my question was about as I have never seen a state issue a new build date for a vehicle just because a person replace a set of tandem axles with a single. That's all I was trying to clarify as your comment didn't make sense to me. :) Changes to the vehicle's status on the registration as far as 2 or 3 axles (if that state lists that on the registration but as I said most don't) is a separate issue and not related to the vehicle's antique status. Changing a 6x6 to a 4x4 does not mean the vehicle is no longer an antique and not eligible for antique plates as the year it was built didn't change. That's all I was trying to point out. My apologies to the OP if I'm to blame for taking this thread off on to a tangent.

martinwcox

UPDATE:

Well I got a callback which resulted in nothing. The guy had no clue what I was talking about re the CDL exemption, "maybe if you get a ticket and go to court a Judge could decide" - aua

On the Antique plate and weight he 'thought" there was no restriction.

"Why don't write to the Registra and ask all your questions?"

This was a good comment too "why don't you write to AM General et al and see if they will de-rate the GVWR for you?"

Ferris: Look, it's real simple. Whatever mileage we put on, we'll take off.
Cameron: How?
Ferris: We'll drive home backwards

I hear the groans already – “Not another CDL thread!".

Yes I live in MA and would like a 5 Ton BUT do I need a CDL?
There are many posts on the subject BUT every state is different and I really could not find a definitive one for us MA guys.

The web is a wonderful thing and in short order I was able to get a copy of CMR 540 Part 2.0,
2.05 spells out Registration requirements and 2.06 Operators Licensing requirements.

At first read it looks like 5 Ton = CDL. However, under Special CDL Exemptions:

“5. Recreational Vehicle Operators. Any vehicle operated solely as a personal or family conveyance for recreational purposes may be operated with a Class D License. To be exempt from CDL requirements, the vehicle must be used exclusively to transport family members or personal friends and/or their effects.”

Unable to find a definition of Recreational Vehicle in either CMR 540 or Massachusetts General Law Chapter 90 (Motor Vehicles and Aircraft) Section 1, I sent an email to MassDOT via the RMV website.
I had in fact asked about Antique registration and any weight restriction and started an email dialogue with an RMV representative. It would appear that based on the reply I got back that you cannot register a vehicle over 26,001lbs as Antique. That said I started down the over 26,001lbs need a CDL but what about the above captioned exemption?
To my surprise I actually got a call from what I assume was a supervisor at the RMV. He said I seemed to be all over the place with my questions, first Antique then CDL questions, what did I want to know?
I explained the 5 Ton dilemma and asked about the above CDL exemption. That seemed to catch him totally by surprise and I heard him ask for a copy of the regulations. I guided him to the section in question in CMR 540 2.06. I guess I had a small section of a very large document and it took him a while to find what I was talking about.
I got the impression he had never actually read the regulations. The big issue is what is the definition of a Recreational Vehicle and it’s Operator. As I said originally, the definition seems to be lacking in MGL 90 Section 1 or CMR 540.
So, the question is being referred to the MA RMV Legal Department for interpretation.
I am not holding out much hope but at least we may or may not get a definitive answer. I am told I will at least get a status call / email tomorrow.

treeguy

Right, OK;
In MA its an expensive hobby, if you want to regularly drive a deuce:
-Bring your paper work to your ins. co
-Ask them to ammend the GVW to 15000 pounds (2000 pounds over the vehicle weight)
-Tell them that its not for commercial use
-Pay $1300 a year for ins.
-Go get plates at the registry and pay $300 a year to keep it registered
-No CDL required

For a 5 ton, you'll need a CDL-B with air brakes (and a medical card). Ask them to ammend the GVW to 2000 pounds over the vehicle weight, get the commercial plates and pay thru the nose for insurance and yearly registration and inspection.

You'll be covering your butt with any technicalities with the antique or camper requirements or confusion. This is how I did it, do you have to stop at weigh stations, technically yes, but this route will work and cost you as well.

Good luck:beer:

Vintage iron

I have a M813 in registered in Mass. as an Antique. I drive mine all the time. If you ever get pulled over and the troop says it can't be done. Just explain that the big Uhaul trucks and Ryder trucks are over 26000 GVW and you don't need a CDL or a health card. Also those tour bus size RV's don't require a CDL.

Insure your MV through Hagerty and you won't have problems. But Hagerty has restrictions, you need to store your truck inside, you can't take it off-road and you can't use it as a camper. The best advice I can give you is don't give out to much info. to the insurance company or RMV. They like to group things together and you are not driving a tractor trailer!

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
UPDATE:

Well I got a callback which resulted in nothing. The guy had no clue what I was talking about re the CDL exemption, "maybe if you get a ticket and go to court a Judge could decide" - aua
When I first got in to semi trucks I got a similar answer from a Commercial Law Enforcement Officer in Alaska. I was talking with him about whether I needed a CDL or not if the vehicle was for personal use and he informed me that I did because Alaska did not give an exemption for it like the Feds did. Then he admitted that if I wasn't for hire then they should not have to mess with me as they should only be going after those in commerce and not the hobbyist. After that he asked me if I would go ahead and drive without a CDL so I would get a ticket and then challenge said ticket in court in order to get a legal change to the regulation to exclude private use trucks from having to follow rules set forth for trucks in commerce. I told him only if he paid my legal bill. :)

In regards to the question you had about recreational usage of vehicles when I've come across states with that wording they pretty much mean vehicles that are registered as an RV, not big trucks used as play toys. That exemption is separate from the Federal exemption for personal use as the Federal guidelines have the two exemptions (one for recreational use and one for personal use) as two different subjects within the regulation. The problem is is that many states only acknowledge the recreational use exemption and left out the one for personal use.

You might want to talk with some weigh scale officials (state DOT) or call up the state troopers and ask for the commercial law enforcement office. When you talk to them make sure to log down who you talked to (especially if they say you don't need a CDL) and ask that person to tell you the regulation he or she is quoting from so you can read the reg/statute for yourself.

The really sad part is if you think CDL requirements are a pain to figure out wait till you make your first out of state trip with a 3 axle vehicle. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks